DEEP WATER Siphone Break

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've been using a syphon break on my tanks for a long time.
I have a 3/16" -1/4" hole about 3/4" below that water line on the return.
I drilled the hole at a angle, pointing downwards into the tank so minimize water splashing.
People say that it's a disaster waiting to happen, but I think with regular tank maintenace you can avoid problems.

Thats just it mfinn, maintenance. Watching those holes and cleaning them regularly is the key to keeping them from clogging up. And having two or more, so if a snail is plugging one, the others will still be open.

Id like to do this with my new tank too. It came with a check valve. Its clean, but you never know. I will end up replacing it in the near future and drilling siphon holes too.

Id like to do this with my new tank too. It came with a check valve. Its clean, but you never know.

I have a wye check valve (that can be cleaned out) on my 50, along with a syphon break.
I've been using this same check valve for about 15 years.

they have they wye check valves on Bulk Reef Supply website
OH ha! you got that already!

The check valve I have is a Swing Check Valve.

One thing I do know is that total reliance on a check valve can be a disaster. Most people say that it is not if but when. Same with syphon break holes.

The one I use, I can and do take the top off and clean out the valve on every water change. I also stick something in my syphon break hole and clean it out.
I do this on every water change, which I have been doing for about 20+ years.
I don't advise anyone to do what I do.
A good well thought out closed loop would be better.

What if you put a 90 from the hole under the DT waterline and run it up past the height of your return line, kinda like a snorkel..... Would the water pressure from the return push water up through it making a fountain? Just a thought.

Hogwash I say just all hogwash as it won't matter as long as your tank is laying on its back, won't hold much water any how silly rabbit

Seriously though I think it'll work with a small length of ro line with a couple small hole near end, it should keep clear with exiting return water. I 'd look into a check-valve as well, I have ran one problem free for 4 years now in conjunction with near surface outlet for redundancy. In a vertical orientation the check-valve kind of POP-Pop-pops to a closed positionwhich keeps anything from growing/clogging it up.

Cheers, Todd

I would actually love a air line on my syphon break, I drilled it out of the tank and its kinda pointed up and out... so when my pumps do go off when they come back on it sprays up :(
Tagging along to see what you've come up with

One thing I do know is that total reliance on a check valve can be a disaster. Most people say that it is not if but when. Same with syphon break holes.

The one I use, I can and do take the top off and clean out the valve on every water change. I also stick something in my syphon break hole and clean it out.
I do this on every water change, which I have been doing for about 20+ years.
I don't advise anyone to do what I do.
A good well thought out closed loop would be better.

I have a CL plan, and parts purchased, Oceanmotions with a Hammerhead

Just trying to hide ALL locline coming into the tank.

What if you put a 90 from the hole under the DT waterline and run it up past the height of your return line, kinda like a snorkel..... Would the water pressure from the return push water up through it making a fountain? Just a thought.

Yes it would. I would have a wet ceiling. LOL

Hogwash I say just all hogwash as it won't matter as long as your tank is laying on its back, won't hold much water any how silly rabbit

Seriously though I think it'll work with a small length of ro line with a couple small hole near end, it should keep clear with exiting return water. I 'd look into a check-valve as well, I have ran one problem free for 4 years now in conjunction with near surface outlet for redundancy. In a vertical orientation the check-valve kind of POP-Pop-pops to a closed positionwhich keeps anything from growing/clogging it up.

Cheers, Todd

You are so right about the redundancy. I am going to try to do that X 3.

Thanks to all who have taken time to help me out on this subject.
I have figured out a way to get my return water back into the DT without seeing any locline, and no siphon break needed.
You will have to wait and see it in the build thread.
Gotta warn ya, it's a little off the wall, and in the breath just like you see in most all tanks!!

Back