devils hand coral ...question ...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cavyroo

BAM! BAM! Goes the blenny
Recently..meaning the last 3-4days..half of my devils hand has been retracted..and like a brown film on them...the other half is great..but this half has this film..its not diatoms.

Wondering..if I can iodine dip this..?

PH 8.2
Sal 1.026
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10ppm ( just did a 10gal change)
Calcium 450
Temp 77

this is an 80gal 1yr old tank

Thanks

Leather corals will, for no reason, go down, retract, or just look bad. Sometimes this will last up to a week. The more you mess with it the longer it will stay down.
It's normal, unless the flesh appears to be rotting. It's like they are shedding the mucus coat. Once they do this they will polyp out.
It may help if you give it a little bit more flow.

Oh ok great.
They are in direct flow..the one half its great..and they love t he flow..I will just leave it then

Thanks lots!

Be sure once you find the most appropriate location, you resist the urge to continue moving the coral. More commonly the act of moving it is all it needs to continue this bout of ailing appearance/health. If left alone, they will more commonly recover quite well as long as conditions are optimal. Most corals of this type detest being moved... :cool:

Also be sure you watch to be sure it's neighbours are not part of the issue.

Cheers
Steve

Nah its been in that spot for about 3mths now.. So I didnt shock it or nothing.
And there are not any naughtly neighbors. LOL SO I will leave it be and see.
Thanks!!

finn said:
Leather corals will, for no reason, go down, retract, or just look bad. Sometimes this will last up to a week. The more you mess with it the longer it will stay down.
It's normal, unless the flesh appears to be rotting. It's like they are shedding the mucus coat. Once they do this they will polyp out.
It may help if you give it a little bit more flow.

I agree and I have observed this with mine even after 10ys of captivity.

devils-hand-sept-15-04.jpg

Back