Difficult Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wsboyette

Fisherman
I have a 45 gallon high FOWLR that runs at about a 5 ppm nitrate level, so I naturally get a film of green algae on the glass. This is due to the limited amount of LR in the narrow tank; there isn't room for more so I have to live with a little nitrate and the resultant algae. For a long time, the algae was soft and easy to scrape off. But lately, the algae has become calciferous or something, and is very difficult to remove. Its appearance seems to have coincided with a water change using Reef Crystals (previously I had been using plain Instant Ocean). Could the change in the algae be due to something in the Reef Crystals (calcium, etc) ? I have several hermit crabs and a Sally Lightfoot crab, so I hate to use algacide on the tank for fear the crabs would not have any to snack on.

Hi does the hard algae come in little circles? I am currently using Kent reef salt but I have gotten that algae for a while including when I used regular instant ocean salt, so I don't believe it is your salt. I use a razor blade on it. Just do your best to keep your levels in check. Are you making up for the lack of live rock with a good skimmer? Macro algae? Biweekly water changes? As for the green film algae I believe some is inevitable in all of our tanks, if your tank has a light on it, it's gonna have film algae. Good luck with it!

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

Also I'd say if you have just switched salts make it a slow process, I like to mix my old and new salt together and with each water change have add a little more of the new salt and less of the old until finally I stop adding the old salt. I made it a process over 4 water changes.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

Hi does the hard algae come in little circles? I am currently using Kent reef salt but I have gotten that algae for a while including when I used regular instant ocean salt, so I don't believe it is your salt. I use a razor blade on it. Just do your best to keep your levels in check. Are you making up for the lack of live rock with a good skimmer? Macro algae? Biweekly water changes? As for the green film algae I believe some is inevitable in all of our tanks, if your tank has a light on it, it's gonna have film algae. Good luck with it!

The algae does have that pattern to it. I do have a most excellent Urchin skimmer which is very efficient, and I make a 33% water change monthly. Even with more frequent changes, the tank is steady at about 5 ppm nitrate (bioload 5 fish and 7 crabs and 4 snails), which certainly accelerates growth of algae. It's probably that and my 175 watt MH lamp; puts out a lot of light for algae to grow. Must be something that just happens as the tank matures.

Also I'd say if you have just switched salts make it a slow process, I like to mix my old and new salt together and with each water change have add a little more of the new salt and less of the old until finally I stop adding the old salt. I made it a process over 4 water changes.

I never thought of doing anything like that, the use of Reef Crystals is only temporary, because the store was out of regular IO. Next bag I buy will be regular IO.

I also have the strange swirly algae. Stranger yet though is it's only on one side of the glass and it's the side that faces my T.V. & where my return is & where my MP10 is. I have a lotta rock.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

The soft green algae is healthy to the tank, and a source of food. The harder stuff (coralline algae) appears as your tank matures. It will start green/brown and turn pink purple. Neither are any issue, part of reef keeping. NEVER use any algaecide nor any other toxins in your reef nor anywhere else for that matter. Keep it simple, maintain water changes and let time mature your tank naturally. Have fun and good luck!

I also have the strange swirly algae. Stranger yet though is it's only on one side of the glass and it's the side that faces my T.V. & where my return is & where my MP10 is. I have a lotta rock.

Your TV puts out quite a bit of UV light, which is conducive to algal growth.

The soft green algae is healthy to the tank, and a source of food. The harder stuff (coralline algae) appears as your tank matures. It will start green/brown and turn pink purple. Neither are any issue, part of reef keeping. NEVER use any algaecide nor any other toxins in your reef nor anywhere else for that matter. Keep it simple, maintain water changes and let time mature your tank naturally. Have fun and good luck!

Thanks, I wondered if that is coralline algae. I never use any chemicals other than trace element replenisher !

Back