Disaster...Again

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O

Well, since I bought a couple of gorgeous corals over the weekend, something bad had to happen. I still don't have it all sorted out, but either my 4 month old sump leaked all night, or something weird happened. About 15-20 gallons of water was leaked out of my sump and all over the floor.

I've drained the rest of the water out of the sump, and am in the process of putting my probes, heater, etc. in the tank. Also, looks like one of my clowns is in the overflow :mad:. If my sump is leaking, I'll be really really pissed off....just in time to really sting me after the crack in my eurobrace.

I'll be back later....

Thanks guys!

Well, the good news is the female clown is out of the overflow and back in the tank. I managed to get my pH, ORP, and temp probes into the main tank, as well as a heater. The sump is pretty much empty...just a little bit of water, and the water left in my skimmer. Towels soaked up what they could out of the sump area, and fans on in the basement. The water ran down the wall into the basement, where thankfully, we never finished the room. From what I can see, only insulation has to be replaced in the basement.

My salinity only dropped a point, from 36 to 35. My top off tank was just refilled last night (of course), and had probably 8 gallons in it. I have all the sump water in a brute container with a powerhead to circulate, and the LR (sump) in there, too.

Midol for Nikki?

Whew, I don't know how many times I soaked the living room floor, just can't wait to build my next tank, I think I'll fiberglass the entire sump area under the stand. Did you find out what was leaking Nikki?

Not yet. The sump is too big for me to move by myself. I looked all over the place, and everything is dust covered, so the only place it could come from is the sump. Even the salt creep is still in place on the inside of the sump, so it isn't like the sump overflowed. Unless I'm not thinking straight (which is very possible), the sump is the culprit. I'm not sure if it was a seam or what. There aren't any bulkheads on it either. Grrrrrrrrrrr

If you give all the seams a good look you can tell if a acrylic tank is a leaker. If the joints are all nice and clear then the sump isn't the problem. If there is a spot where the seam looks foggy or bubbly then that could be where your leak is. Obviously pulling it out and doing the old leak check is a pretty safe bet.

WTF, Are you cursed????
Jeez, really sorry to hear about your sump trouble Nikki....seriously.
Is there any chance one of the cats or maybe Tanner dislodged a sump return or something?

Nick

No chance of that. The bottom of the stand was full of water. If it was the sump return, there would be water other than directly in the stand.

When are you off next week, Nick?? Give me a shout today after you wake up...I may need your help. I can keep you on your night schedule by making you work on my tank all night.

Wow Nikki, that stinks. I hope you pinpoint the problem. The fun never stops in this hobby. With a sump that leak would have to be somewhere in the lower half for sure. Let us know what you end up finding out. When will you be pulling the sump out of the stand?

hey nikki, im sorry to hear you are going through this. Im sure if i was closer you would have a helping hand. keep us posted
steve

Your Experience really helped, it could have been worst.

Sorry Nicki.....But I believe your experience with hobby saved your animals. I am sorry for your trouble, but awesome job keeping your animals healthy.
I hope everthing is back to normal soon.
good luck,
Ed:)

Thanks again everyone. The well wishes help me to keep calm and not lose it.

MtnDewMan said:
When will you be pulling the sump out of the stand?

Most likely when the husband gets home from work. He was supposed to leave for out of town today, but he isn't sure he's going to do that considering what happened. Thank goodness it didn't happen while we are away over Christmas.

I tried to look at the seams, but they look alright (the ones I could see). I don't know what to do at this point...guess the leak test will let us know for sure.

Man, that's a drag Nikki. I hope you get it sorted out quick. Are you sure your topoff was pumping into the sump and didn't slip out of the sump area (voice of experience here)? Seems your salinity didn't jump much so I'm wondering if the fresh water actually made it into the tank. Just a thought

I just went and checked Reed, as you made me wonder. Not it, though. The top-off line is secured by a zip tie and pointed straight into the sump. My salinity didn't jump much because it was only about 8 gallons (I'm guessing here....a 10 gallon tank not filled completely) into roughly 170 gallons of total water volume.

The basement floor is almost dry...now I have the fans pointed up towards the subfloor above.

Hey - I just got a PM from Ed Hahn. He made me wonder about my skimmer intake line. Is this a possiblility if the skimmer was going crazy? Like I said, I hadn't noticed anything, as far as water on the outside of the sump (like water splashed down it), and no one paid attention to what the skimmer was doing while things were getting shut off. Eek? I guess I'll know when we do the leak test on the sump.

ohh Nikki i'm really sorry :( that's just horrible.
i really hope you find what was the problem and i'm glad your clowns are fine.
please let us know how everything goes ok and again i'm really really sorry and i wish i was closer to you, so i could help you :(

Your skimmer would be louder if air intake line was plugged, more water would come out your exit tube of skimmer(faster rate). You would hear it splashing more unless your cabinet was really well insulated or skimmer is somewhere else.
I was thinking the excess output of water might shoot over sump, spray out.

Back