Disaster...Again

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn is right Nikki. I make mine for about $10.00. (The gate valve was $6.00). Here is a pic of it on my ASM skimmer. it is not a very good angle. I will try and get a better one tonight.

Glad to hear you found your problem Nikki. Like I've said before, 75% of the time for me it was the skimmer...

Nikki the vent line that clips on the side and runs down to your pump on a euro reef skimmer neds to be cleaned. The hole in the pump intake that the hose slips onto fills with calc. I used to just reach down pull the hose off and run a little round brush down through the hole every weekend, takes about 5 secs. I wonder if your exit tube wasn't close to the side of the sump at the time. I have had my euro reef go crazy and never shot water out that far, but my outlet is more toward the center of the sump.

Thanks for the link Ed, and thanks for the images Tava. I wasn't really understanding how all that gets put together.

john - thanks for the info. I haven't cleaned the tube or air hole on the pump in quite a long time. I don't think I've ever really cleaned out the tube.

I guess I'll find out for sure whether or not it was the sump tonight, when we fill it up. I would love for the sump to be fine.

Charlie - I was at Lowe's picking up some items for the tank move, and decided to pick up some of those sticky tiles (which look quite nice actually). I figured that would be a quick stick down for under the tank and a small perimeter around it. I'm such a pain about that stuff because I want real tile (and to match the tile in the foyer would be a plus), but this will have to do for now. Anyway, I decided to take your advice and do it :)

Can someone explain to me how the air intake getting clogged makes the water go crazy in a needle wheel skimmer? I figured it would make it die down. Thanks! Just trying to get an understanding of how it works.

NaH2O said:
Can someone explain to me how the air intake getting clogged makes the water go crazy in a needle wheel skimmer? I figured it would make it die down. Thanks! Just trying to get an understanding of how it works.

Basicly without air its pumping water to the full potential of the pump.
As a quick or temporary fix you may just want to suspend a big cup over the outlet. Maybe a big gulp cup hanging by a string. That will block it next time old faithful decided to errupt.
You really have to watch out in the winter since our house heaters really dry out the ambient air.

Don

Forgot to mention you need to pick up a few tack strips to hold the carpet down around the tank if you going to cut that section out. Remember carpet is stretched.

Don

Ah darnit, guess I'm heading out again...Thanks Don!!!

NaH2O said:
Ah darnit, guess I'm heading out again...Thanks Don!!!

Get the ones for tile edges. They come in metal and wood, what ever matches your house. HD or lowes will stock them.
Also get a staple gun you need to tack the carpet all the way around prior to cutting. You remove the staples after your all done.
Don

Last edited:
Nikki Its not the tube so much, although that needs to be clear but the nipple the tube fits to on the side of the pump intake. You need to put a dowel or round stiff brush insde that nipple and make sure it goes all the way through to the other side of the pump intake tube, it does plug easily. I took and built a false floor for under the tank out of OSB 3/4" thick and covered it with some nice linolium that goes with our carpet which we bought as remnince at HD. I stapled the outer edges and then trimmed it out with the phony wood grain trim from HD, I used outside corner trim so it covers the staples and the edge of the OSB and sealed the corners with silicone. It well hold some gallons of water depending on how big you make it. I made mine stick out on the ends about 1 1/2' and 1' out the back and it sticks out the front 2'. When I pull my arms out of the tank I'm not dripping all over the carpet and it does hold some water until the water goes over the mldgs.

Last edited:
NaH2O said:
Charlie - I was at Lowe's picking up some items for the tank move, and decided to pick up some of those sticky tiles (which look quite nice actually). I figured that would be a quick stick down for under the tank and a small perimeter around it. I'm such a pain about that stuff because I want real tile (and to match the tile in the foyer would be a plus), but this will have to do for now. Anyway, I decided to take your advice and do it :)

You are kidding of course!!!:eek:

Charlie said something right for a change?
hummm
must be Christmas, next he will say it is going to snow here in Louisiana LOL!

Scooterman said:
Charlie said something right for a change?
hummm
must be Christmas, next he will say it is going to snow here in Louisiana LOL!

That's low, real low:D
No, I won't send any snow to Louisiana, you guys already have enuf problems, something about hurricanes.

That's low, real low
No, I won't send any snow to Louisiana, you guys already have enuf problems, something about hurricanes.

Ouch Scooter!:lol: Glad I'm not involved in this one this time:D

Just a side note here, if the skimmer cup wasn't full then i seriously doubt that your skimmer was going nuts.

Humm, a little snow would be a treat, can't remember the last time I actually saw a white covered ground from snow & for Christmas, I think maybe never :(

I would have gladly traded you a couple of weeks ago, we got 12" in 1 day. If I would have known, by golly, I would have shipped at least 6" to ya.
Scooter, we need to stop this, Nikki will link us to Weatherbug if we keep this up. :)

Last edited:
NaH2O said:
Well, since I bought a couple of gorgeous corals over the weekend, something bad had to happen. I still don't have it all sorted out, but either my 4 month old sump leaked all night, or something weird happened. About 15-20 gallons of water was leaked out of my sump and all over the floor.

I've drained the rest of the water out of the sump, and am in the process of putting my probes, heater, etc. in the tank. Also, looks like one of my clowns is in the overflow :mad:. If my sump is leaking, I'll be really really pissed off....just in time to really sting me after the crack in my eurobrace.

I'll be back later....
I am sorry to hear about that Nikki. Hope all turns out a little better for you.

Anne

Back