Discolored Blue-Striped Butterflyfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

delphinus

Hello,
I bought Blue-Striped Butterflyfish (Chaetodon fremblii) by a mail order. She seems very vigorous: swimming very active and eating dry granule and frozen foods. As you know, Blue-Striped Butterflyfish is very shy. I think she is exceptional.

But this fish has one trouble. She wears night (or frighttened) color pattern even during day: grayish yellow body and discolored blue-stripe. In this tank there are no agressive fishes. A pair of Lyre-tail Anthias (Pesudanthias cheirospilos) are the only inhabitants. If you know, would you tell me the methods which she could regain the brilliant color?.
With best wishes,

Last edited:
It just takes time (hopefully).

Acclimation of some species can take weeks. The fish is still in the 'stressed out' mode, but it should settle. Be sure your water conditions are perfect. Pay attention to pH especially.

Be sure you feed it properly! :)

Did it come colored up? How big is he? The main, only, reason i personally haven't acquired this fish is because they lose their color as they get older.

Hello, Sparks
About 3.0 inch. As you wrote, It is not easy to keep this fish's body color.
In Japan they are scarecey imported today becuse of their bad reputations: too shyness, reluctance of feeding and discoloration. Thanks very much.

Back