DIY cone pyramid skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yep, i think if you do that you'll see alot more sewage! Would like to follow that build too!

Next build maybe if I am very ambitious.:D
I just ordered a polycarbonate cone 13.5" diameter and 24" tall. Maybe a real cone with Laguna 5000 mod. 2nd pyramid with the Laguna 5000 mod somewhere between ATB Med & large diameter.

I liked the 2400 @ 100watts but a little spendy. Spent all my budget on four Laguna 5000 @85 watts. I have to use at least two pump to justify the build.

Looks like I will need to borrow or buy the Dwyer air flow meter for the mod. What would be a good range scfh or l/min?

Luke,

I am gathering some idea. Since my eternal Pyramid skimmer recirculates, is there a recirculation ratio to new incoming water from the tank. In other words, do I throttle the recirculation input from the skimmer.

Is there a logic besides retention time for recirculating the water?

The old theory was a 2min dwell time. I've always thought that was a number just thrown out there. I've tested very long dwell times and all i've come up with is darker skimmate but less. I'd just feed your recirculating skimmer 1.5-2x's the tank volume.

I've tested very long dwell times and all i've come up with is darker skimmate but less.

I did notice that if the recirculation loop is fully opened, I get very dark skimmate "black coffee" as pictured in the first post. But if I throttle it down I get lighter skimmate. So longer retention means darker skimmate. Is darker skimmate better? Does it mean more junk in it?

I'd just feed your recirculating skimmer 1.5-2x's the tank volume.

So if my tank is 150 gallon, my pump is 450gph at the outlet. I'll need 225-300gph on the recirc and the remainder (225-150gph) from the tank. I am understanding this correctly?

Yep if you have a 150g tank you should feed it 225-300gph of raw water from your tank. You just let your recirculating pump run full throttle.

The more dwell time ime means darker skimmate. So if you were to feed like 150gph the skimmate would be darker. Darker doesn't mean better. SKimming a bit on the wet side removes more DOC's than the dry black coffee.

Luke,

Gathering more info for the next build.

If I use the Laguna 5000 (~1500gph) meshwheel, what would be my skimmer inlet, recirc and outlet pipe size? I am thinking output to skimmer would be 3/4" or 1"; same for recirc. But, out let from the skimmer would be 1.5".

Mod for the Laguna: inlet of the pump would be at least 1.25" to 1.5" with a volute of 1.5" & 3.5" diameter. Air intake 3/8" to 3/4".

Base of the skimmer 10" to 13.5" , height 15" to 16.5", neck 3.5" to 5", bubble plate 6" to 8". What do you think?

For your skimmer standpipe outlet i'd go with 1.5"

For your pump input your going to need 3/4" with an aspiring venturi. For the output you want 1"

For the base 10-13.5 is fine. Total height i'd go with 22-26" with a 5" diameter neck if you plan on using the laguna. A 8" bp is fine as long as your talking width. IF your talking height 6" should be max.

I think the skimmer is running optimally. Adjusted to 39 watts. Skimmate brownish green and slightly wet. The ORP jumps from 246 to 346 in 5 days without water change.

These are macro photos of ultramicro bubble that has been adjusted to have a laminar (non-turbulent) flow. 15" of micro bubble column that is laminar. For comparison that is a 0.5mm mechanical lead pencil. (The bubble is about 0.5mm or smaller:D.)

View attachment 29967 Middle top of the pyramid body

View attachment 29968 Middle of the 2.25" neck

View attachment 29969 Side top of the pyramid body

View attachment 30111

This is interesting the pH dropped the ORP increased. Water was last changed on Oct 18th.

Can someone explain the chemistry relationship between ORP, pH and skimming? Is the attached graph normal?

P.S. still waiting for acrylic tubes for the next build.

I got some quotes on cones. 8" bottom 5" top 18" tall Poly cast $378 Keltec $350 Coneskimmer.com $109 PSI $250 5 min.

Don

I got some quotes on cones. 8" bottom 5" top 18" tall Coneskimmer.com $109.
Don

Don, Are the dimensions cast in stone? Coneskimmer looks promising. They have the ATB like neck flange as well. Does the neck flange includes the oring?

I found a seamless polycarbonate cone with 13" base flange (12" base). 21" tall. I need to cut the top of the cone for 5" neck. If I do that then the height is 17" with 5" neck and 12" base. Cost around $150 shipped.

Last edited:
Don, Are the dimensions cast in stone? Coneskimmer looks promising. They have the ATB like neck flange as well. Does the neck flange includes the oring?

I found a seamless polycarbonate cone with 13" base flange (12" base). 21" tall. I need to cut the top of the cone for 5" neck. If I do that then the height is 17" with 5" neck and 12" base. Cost around $150 shipped.

Polycarbonate is going to be pretty flimsy and hard to get a good glue joint. I'm sure the dimensions are not "cast in stone" thats the size I asked for a quote on. PC charges 140 extra for the mold so I guess any size is doable. Keltec will do prttey much anything you ask and are local. Coneskimmer.com that happens to be a stock size but they are not shipping until Jan, waiting for LLC or something. Dont know about the neck flange, thats something I can just make myself. The atb flange uses a foam cord seal and you can get that at any sewing supplies place or just buy bulk oring local to make your own if need be.

Don

Sakimaru8

This is interesting the pH dropped the ORP increased. Water was last changed on Oct 18th.

Can someone explain the chemistry relationship between ORP, pH and skimming? Is the attached graph normal?b

That is normal. pH and ORP are inversed. As pH goes up ORP goes down and as pH goes down ORP goes up. Drops or rises in pH cause a shift in the oxidation/reduction rates, which change the ORP. It is not a simple subject and is qutie complicated. Try to read through this ..............

ORP and the Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

Sakimaru8
That is normal. pH and ORP are inversed. As pH goes up ORP goes down and as pH goes down ORP goes up.

Boomer,

Since pH and ORP has an inverse relation (mirrored image on the graph), do I need an ORP probe? Besides getting an ORP value. Sounds like pH meter is a better investment if one has to choose between pH or ORP meter.

Yes, for sure, if you are choosing between a pH probe and ORP probe, then pH is the way to go. The only need for a ORP pobe is if you are running Ozone.

The only need for a ORP pobe is if you are running Ozone.

Ok, if you are running ozone to raise ORP then the tank's pH will drop when the ozone runs. Would you drip kalk and/or ozone within a skimmer to blow off excess O3?

Back