DIY for August

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IAP Brian

Aquarium Nut
Ok fine. Uncle....Uncle.... :lol: after a slight amount of pressure from a couple shop owners whom I will not name (...cough, Eric and Mario.., cough).. and a little more proding from Ed, I have agreed to host a DIY class at the August meeting, if they decide to go that direction.

I would like some input on what people would like to see and I would like to keep it to something most people can do in their own garage. (sorry, don't want to haul the shop to another location anytime in the next 3 to 5 years- but I will bring along lots of hand tools, the chop saw and possibly a table saw.)

My thoughts on the meeting would be converting a used tank into a sump and or a refugium, which would include basic bonding techniques and basic acrylic forming, or sanding and scratch repair.

So let me know what everyone would like to see, of course if someone wants to let me off the hook and do something else...... that wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. :p

Ed, Mario, Eric! Great job!

Not to worry Brian, we are "going that way!"

I'm sure many people will be happy about this; as we have tried for a long time to find someone for a DIY meeting!!

Got the grill Eric, we have the dogs!

I think some good people are working together again!

Hats off again to those guys across the water. Thank you Colleen.:)

I am looking forward to it. :)

Some other things people might like to see done are maybe DIY auto topoff systems, Durso Standpipes, and drilling glass tanks. Whatever is decided I am sure it will be great.

Thanks for the heads up Brian!!!:lol:

Glad to hear you want to help out.

I hope that everyone will see that Brian and any LFS would be doing this just to help out people in the club. Because any DIY item that someone makes on their own takes business away from both Local Tank Builders and Local Fish Stores. SO EVERYONE, GIVE BRIAN A BIG THANKS!!!

That's one of the reasons I don't carry as many dry goods. I understand that people can get such great prices online for dry goods, but nothing beats seeing the live stock in person.

Can't wait to see what's in store. There is a sepertate room that will be used at the nursery for the DIY workshop, so that way anyone that wants to just hang out and chat won't disturb the class.

As far as another BBQ goes I would be more than happy to bring my grill down. There is already a spot behind one of the houses at the nursery right along the creek set up for that very thing. So let me know if you guys are serious.

I love the Idea of DIY. a little diy reactor would be cool if we could pay for supplies and you could teach us how to glue. Like the phosban reactor type for eaither carbon or other media's.

Reactor- I have not gotten around to building a proto type so that could be cool. If we use 1/8" extruded tube, I don't need anyone to pay for the one I am using for display and discussion, if everyone wanted to build one to take home, then a small charge for materials would be necessary. ( 4" extruded tube is around $5 a foot, my cost, throw in another $5-$10 for plumbing, weld-on and misc acrylic and I think for about $15-20 everyone could take one home.) If we did the take one home, I would need about a week worth of heads up to get enough material for everyone. Definitely a good idea Brad. What does everyone else think?

We can also give a mini-shop on durso type stand pipes, I think we could throw that in irregardless of what else we do.

My thoughts on the meeting would be converting a used tank into a sump and or a refugium, which would include basic bonding techniques and basic acrylic forming, or sanding and scratch repair.

Sanding huh :rolleyes: Need any belt sanding tips Brian, just pm me:p

Hey Ed, Jessi, can we fly Krish in for the meeting? His advanced techniques on under water belt sander operation would be invaluable! :lol:

Hey Ed, Jessi, can we fly Krish in for the meeting? His advanced techniques on under water belt sander operation would be invaluable!

ROFL! Nothing like 10 grit on some nice acrylic:D (LOL) Man, that would be cool to visit (to meet some of you guys and see some DIY). One of these days I will pop up to MACNA or something to meet a bunch of you guys:)

IAP Brian said:
Hey Ed, Jessi, can we fly Krish in for the meeting? His advanced techniques on under water belt sander operation would be invaluable! :lol:
Brian,
You know Colleen is going to whip me and your not helping. :lol:
thanks again,
Ed:)

IAP Brian said:
Reactor- I have not gotten around to building a proto type so that could be cool. If we use 1/8" extruded tube, I don't need anyone to pay for the one I am using for display and discussion, if everyone wanted to build one to take home, then a small charge for materials would be necessary. ( 4" extruded tube is around $5 a foot, my cost, throw in another $5-$10 for plumbing, weld-on and misc acrylic and I think for about $15-20 everyone could take one home.) If we did the take one home, I would need about a week worth of heads up to get enough material for everyone. Definitely a good idea Brad. What does everyone else think?

We can also give a mini-shop on durso type stand pipes, I think we could throw that in irregardless of what else we do.
Brian,

Doing a project like this... where those that wanted to participate as you were doing the demo, could, then have something of their OWN to take home... I think is an AWESOME idea!!

I have talked to people about it. If brian did some precuts. It would mostely be sanding and gluing pieces together. I would say 2-4 diy projects would be better. small groups of 8-10 people and people can sign up for whatever they want. I have talked to others about this and posted. you could do the demo on the reactor and we could find someone to do the durso project and you could try and con someone else into demoing the polishing and it would be an open workshop. Just my thought. a hands on presentation. I think we all could pay $20 to take home a cool new thing.

this is a great idea. Very much appreciate your willingness to cover this with us.

Mat

IAP Brian said:
My thoughts on the meeting would be converting a used tank into a sump and or a refugium, which would include basic bonding techniques and basic acrylic forming, or sanding and scratch repair. :p

Hey how did I miss all this?

Mark and I are definately with Brian on this one; basic techniques that everyone needs to know. I've thrown out several acrylic tanks because I'm a nightmare scratching them up.

If Brian is game for more, that's fine, but we are thinking a fairly simple meeting for a DIY for August.

And, yes, a BBQ would be great, we have alot of burgers and sausage/brauts frozen from the picnic waiting for a grill.

Sounds like a great time; and a great learning experience for most of us! I'm sure Mark and Ed will chime in shortly with more opinions!

So mark your calendars!

Last edited:
Back