DIY "LED" build "Linear Design"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse, I no longer have MH setup for years now. But like I said previously that these white LEDs are like looking at 2x250's, the blues are giving it that actinic look that we are looking with a pop. Note: I need to add 12 more blues so it will become 2:1 ratio.... I think Im going with the radium look... more blue, more blue.... more blue... lol

The T5 are no match to these blue LEDs in terms of it being deep blue color. The T5's are like CYAN blues and not deep actinic navy blue type. Hope that helps. Just the blue LEDs alone is a very good addition to your lighting setup, whether its MH or T5 or both.

i have a 12 royal blue led strip made my coralsky and i must say its a huge difference in color pop and with them alone feels like you are deep in the water with a black light

Neat project Cesar!!! have you put a light meter on this one to see how its performing??

Mojo

Thanks Mojo, I wish I have access to a light meter. Do we have one in our club? I mean the par meter and not the lux meter? Wish the club can buy one and heve it rented out for a fee.

You can usually find one at a LFS that is typically willing to rent it out.

Man I used to have an apogee around somewhere I will see if I can find it. It would nice to get some numbers for sure.

Mojo

Ok, here is an update.

Im working on the third strip as I type right now. I am changing some on the dimensions/spacing of the LEDs. Stay tune.
I middle support bar on my tank is blocking 2 LEDs closest to it in the middle. So Im placing them 9" apart or 4.5" from the middle of the tank. \

Also, I ordered the more efficient royal blue's which is the XP-E's.

Really wish I have access to par meter. Anybody? how about someone you know? like local pet shops?

I don't know how close they are to you but Oceans in a Box has a PAR meter. They are under new ownership ATM but you might be able to borrow or rent it. Just a thought.

Cesar I torn through the garage and couldnt find it, I must have lent it out and never got it back again, sorry buddy

Mike

Hey Cesar, well I went ahead and jumped in neck deep. A few days ago ordered the 48 Ultra Premium LED Kit with Dimmable Drivers with the white XP-G, I switched out some of the Royal Blue 450-465nm for the Blue 465-485nm to broaden blue spectrum plus a variety of lenses for blue & white. I then added the 2 color dimming kit and a pair of the LPC-35-700W drivers and 4 of the XR-C Red to go with what LED's I already had. I'm looking for some Cyan 500-510nm now before starting build.

I would greatly appreciate a visit if you have time before I start setting circuits. Still planning on six front to back linear circuits on a East to West lighting schedule with another scattered array for a noonday sun period. The Google Scetch program is pretty cool but have only been able to get the tank design completed, got very frustrated trying to create the aluminum frame work and don't even vaguely know how to create LED cone spreads. I'll see if I can now figure out how to import my drawing.

Todd

Last edited:
TJL,

I believe, adding different spectrum is a plus, great job on that. I should have done the same, but did not know any better.

Visit, of course you can visit and check the lighting. PM me your plans I will try to accommodate it. Free during weekends, and after 7 during weekdays.

Sketchup? here is my suggestion, Start a new build thread and I will help you with drawings and schematics and sketchups... In this way you can also ask questions in there that might be beneficial with our readers here at RF.

Cesar,

Thanks will do sometime this week and would dig a hands on tutorial on Google ScetchUp as I know its easier than I fugured out so far.

Todd

Ok here is the update...

Added 12 more RBs and this time I selected the XP-E. More lumen per watt than XR-E. More efficient. Cost more upfront, cost less long term.
So now Im done. 36 LEDs on a 75 gallon mixed tank. I believe Im not adding more. It really looks bright (no par meter to prove). Im running 500 ma right now on all LED, and will raise it up slowly in a month.

On another note. I just received my parts for my arduino light controller project. I am creating another DIY thread so please follow me on my quest to the unknown. To all Arduino experts, I will be needing your help.

I found these... maybe it can help...

5.jpg

IMO, this is a very tiny bit bluer/cyan (450, 460nm maybe???) compared to my XR-E (440-450nm??)

7.jpg

No wonder its too yellow...

Cesar great built thread i'm in the process of building a 55g reef and i'm building everything in sketch up. I have just about all the measurements but the led lights. I was wondering if you had the measurements, i'm not having any luck on rapidled's website besides the tape roll they sell.

Back