DIY "LED" build "Linear Design"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

One repository that you go to is... 3dwarehouse.
You can just search Cree.... Good luck... please show us your work... any questions with LED or SketchUp, just ask ok?

SketchUp

One repository that you go to is... 3dwarehouse.
You can just search Cree.... Good luck... please show us your work... any questions with LED or SketchUp, just ask ok?

I haven't looked they yet on 3dwarehouse, i've done a google search on cree measurements and got nothing to work with. Just to run it by you i'm thinking of 36 lights at a 1:1 ratio centered on the tank on a 2x48x1/8th. I'm not finished just yet drawing up everything i'll start up a new build tread in a couple of days with some pictures.

Cesar.

I was thinking of using the canopy i got with the stand but I only have 5" of room in the canopy, do you think that will work or should I look at building a new canopy? Also I was wondering at what height do you have your lights, and do you have to worry about corrosion on your connections?

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

I dont have a canopy, only an open top hanging lights. I usually really recommend optics, but in your case 5", optics will of no use. I have my lights 12" (using optics) off the water thus no corossion so far. Also, I used glue gun to put my optics, also covering the solder points at the same time.

Very nicely written and very good wealth of information. I plan on building a couple of Cree LED set ups in the near future.

Also on a side note, if anyone ever needs I have a very nice bench soldering station that has been with me since my R/C days. It is variable temp from 400-800 and I do have the pencil style tip for it as well as a couple of other tips. I have experince soldering anthing from circuit boards to various gauge wires (2-24 AWG). I've gained my experience soldering from R/C, automotive, computers and arcade machines. So if anyone would like to swing by and solder stuff LMK and we can arrange the time and my 8' workbench is usually fairly clean and organized.

Cheers,
Alex

Not trying to hijack, but if anyone wishes to run the high power LED route, I may have some insight. Currently, I'm using 6x10w 6500k and 6x10w 465nm blue LEDS on my 46G acrylic bowfront. I used a piece of scrap aluminum as a heatsink and run a Dell cpu fan on a PWM speed controller I built for cooling. The blues are dimmed (via another PWM controller) to approximately 30% output. It works well enough for my reef, but am switching to a single 100w 7000k LED for the white, which I'm building a hammertone reflector for. The blues will be taken care of by 5 of my current 10w blue LEDS. All will be enclosed in a small pendant and run off the computer power supply with a boost circuit that currently runs my lighting. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to post them (I'm new here).

Tinybubbles,sounds pretty awesome and definitely worthy of its own build thread.

Cesar, how about an update dude, haven't seen anything for some time now. Are they still performing as anticipated?

Cheers, Todd

Sorry to all, long vacation...
Here is the latest image... taken last night.

FULLSHOT_2011-07_CREE-LEDSX36.jpg

Because of the April move, I am forced to redo my scape. Unfortunately, I lost some fishes and corals during the move, even though they are 3 miles away, it still took its toll.

So far so good with the LEDs. I have been using it since January. I dont know if I mentioned this that shortly after the build, I added 12 more LEDs, so there are 36 total Cree LEDs right now. 24 Royal Blues and 12 Cool Whites.

I might add another 12 LEDs. Hoping to add cool whites, blues, reds and violets on the mix. Hope that this will complete the spectrum.

Last edited:
Hi Cesar,

Hope you are doing good .. am SWF following you from RC and have been getting inputs from you... got busy with work and am back with some free time
to continue with DIY LED.. following you am here on reeffrontiers :) !

So far i have the following from rapidlid :
1) 36 CW XP-G R5 / 36 RB XP-E
2)6 - ELN-60-48P drivers
3) 60 degree lenses for about 1.5 feet.
I also got my self a typhoon controller from BoostLED.

I am planning to have six channels each with 12 LED's . I am not able to upload my LED layout sketchup here ... i
will to do it later...
can you please help with a wiring diagram for led's with the audrino controller...

Thank you so much for all you help.... Without your inputs i wouldnt have come sofar !!!

Regards,
Ravi

Back