DIY Phosban reactor? Anyone got plans?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

I think I am going to build a phosban reactor.

I have a good idea of how to make it, and I have some 3in acrylic tube.

Just not sure how much flow to have. Does any one have any good plans or a good explination of what I am trying to accomplish?

I think, I need low flow through it to allow more contact time with the water. I have a few maxi jets, 400 and a 1200.

Our reactor is just "T"ed off the return pump line back to the tank. Then we installed a simple little ball valve to control the flow rate through the reactor. It was simple and it saved us having another little pump running and to maintain.

Not sure on plans to build one, but you don't want too much flow running through a reactor that has either carbon or phosphate media in it to where the media tumbles and bumps into each other which can pretty much destroy it. I ran a maxijet 400 on mine and had the ball valve closed quite a bit so it really wasn't much flow at all. I use to set mine to where the surface of the media showed a very slight aggitation and that's where I set it. With that said, not sure if you are worried about price why you want to build one or were just up to the challenge and wanted to build you own, but they are cheap as dirt. Two Little Fishies makes a really good one that is just under $40 TLF-PHOSREC Premium Aquatics - TLF-PHOSREC Aquarium Supplies

Not sure on plans to build one, but you don't want too much flow running through a reactor that has either carbon or phosphate media in it to where the media tumbles and bumps into each other which can pretty much destroy it. I ran a maxijet 400 on mine and had the ball valve closed quite a bit so it really wasn't much flow at all. I use to set mine to where the surface of the media showed a very slight aggitation and that's where I set it. With that said, not sure if you are worried about price why you want to build one or were just up to the challenge and wanted to build you own, but they are cheap as dirt. Two Little Fishies makes a really good one that is just under $40 TLF-PHOSREC Premium Aquatics - TLF-PHOSREC Aquarium Supplies

Yeah, I just found one for $48. I didn't buy it cause the guy(who I do trust, there store is pristine!) at the LFS said he wouldn't bother cause my tests are showing undetectable. The reason I was going to add one is, I was told that they are saying PHOS tests are inaccurate!? and I have some cyano(very little in the fuge) and some algae growth. But everything tests perfect. I was wondering if my water is TOO clean, if possible?

Anyway, I was going to build one(for fun) and I have just about all materials I would need.
So, what do you think? about the phos tests and a reactor, are they worth the trouble?

Yeah, I just found one for $48. I didn't buy it cause the guy(who I do trust, there store is pristine!) at the LFS said he wouldn't bother cause my tests are showing undetectable. The reason I was going to add one is, I was told that they are saying PHOS tests are inaccurate!? and I have some cyano(very little in the fuge) and some algae growth. But everything tests perfect. I was wondering if my water is TOO clean, if possible?

Anyway, I was going to build one(for fun) and I have just about all materials I would need.
So, what do you think? about the phos tests and a reactor, are they worth the trouble?

Think about it this way. If you have cyano then you have nutrients. So in short the guy at the LFS is wrong. Every living thing needs nutrients and phosphates to survive. You may be showing low P due to the fact that the cyano and other algaes are using it, which would make it a false low. Is your water to clean? If so you found the magic that everyone has been searching for for years. :)

Don

Think about it this way. If you have cyano then you have nutrients. So in short the guy at the LFS is wrong. Every living thing needs nutrients and phosphates to survive. You may be showing low P due to the fact that the cyano and other algaes are using it, which would make it a false low. Is your water to clean? If so you found the magic that everyone has been searching for for years. :)

Don

Thanks Don,
- I will work on building one now, I was kind of thinking that but was not sure. That is why I ask for the help of you Pros.

THANK YOU

I picked up one at Bulk reef supply. $39.99 and it's far nicer than the two little fish ones. No leaks, no cheap fittings and includes all the plumbing parts.

I think I will build one, I have some 3in acrylic tube, a maxi 400, I really won't have to by much. And then I can have a little fun at the same time. I have looked at a lot of prebuild and DIY desighns, it don't look like much, very simple. I think I will make it a phos/carbon reactor, being that I have a good length of 3in tube(about 4ft).

I also got this peice of $#!+, sea clone skimmer. Looks like it might make a nice $100 phos reactor, might try that also. Just for giggles.

Back