DIY ReEf FoOd.. :)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
O.K. I ran out of a variety of goodies and didn't want to pay 40-60 for more fish food
SO I had some stuff left..
I took my 1/3 flat of Krill
fun764.jpg

two small packs of chopped squid (fish food kind)
fun765.jpg

fresh raw cod fillet 1/4 lbs (i didn't use it all but most of it)
fun767.jpg

Raw oysters shucked all 10 oz
fun768.jpg

fun770.jpg

1/3 package of imitation crab meat (the real raw stuff was WAY to spendy)
fun771.jpg

4 full sheets of Nori Algae (seaweed)
fun773.jpg

2 tablespoons Oyster feast
fun774.jpg

Table spoon Freeze dried Cyclopeeze
fun775.jpg

Blended with 1 1/2 cup RO/DI water till a thick paste.
fun777.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the 8 raw medium sized prawns we threw in there

I bought 4 cheap Ice cube trays at the dollar store. 14 cubes in each
I made the cubes big enough for one a day (small enough if you will)
It made enough for 8 weeks or food.
I put them in the freezer and wrap tightly with saran wrap.

Beware guys. It stinks and your wife is gonna be very angry but this all cost my prolly less than 40 dollars and I have 2 months worth of food for my reef...
If one cube turn out to be to much I can thaw one and put the rest in the fridge till the next day...
The good thing about this food is I soaked and rinsed all the foods well so I don't have to rinse after thawing..
Heck I could just toss a cube in my tank and watch the fish fight over it.. :)
And with the fluids and tiny chopped pieces I know my corals will get a bunch too. :)

Last edited:
Looks like a great blend of food but....... that surimi (imitation crab) is so full of artificial flavors, colors and preservatives that a cook friend of mine who worked on a surimi processing ship said he would never eat the stuff again after knowing whats in it. I wouldnt feed it to my fish. JMO.

Beware guys. It stinks and your wife is gonna be very angry but this all cost my prolly less than 40 dollars and I have 2 months worth of food for my reef...

Just have A LOT of Febreeze on hand and candles lit and windows open! We made some before he left and let me tell you... I about gagged but the combination of the above three made my kitchen and house go back to it's normal smell after a couple hours. :)

Awesome for making your own food. I can't complain too much about the food we made either. With the money we're saving and the fish seem to like it so having my kitchen stink for a coupe hours is worth it! Haha.

well I didn't put much crab in there I wanted to put fresh dungee crab but my brother hasn't brought me any yet.:(

We make our own food also. We use a Seafood Medely from the supermarket, it usually contains squid, octopus, shrimp, a couple of different types of fish and then we throw some pellets and Nori in the mix as well.

i went to the asian market yesterday(great wall in kent/renton)..i bought fresh fish(tilapia),squid,live oysters,live crabs and lobster..ill try to make some too...:)
i have nori seawed and cyclopeeze..i have some krill too...im about to run out of rods food..
can i mix in amino acid?thats what i put when thawing frozen food...

Yeah the Amino Acids should be fine in there. I have always heard to NEVER add the imitation crab (from Melev). I pretty much use the same process. I did by full trays of krill, brine, and mysis to add as well. Something for everyone and it IMO is way healthier for the fish/corals.

Back