DIY Refugiums, any help?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

By the way no one ever mentioned the other types of Macroalgaes out there that can be used in a fuge? Even xenias are great for filtration and some people use them in their Fuge. So what can we substitute for the cualerpa?

anglescrx,

look in the chemistry forum. I started a thread there some days ago to talk more about caulerpa. There is a list there of other algeas that can be used and other points regarding caulerpa.

sincerely...Collin

pondguy said:
so, i should build the refugium, leave out the Caulerpa and MM, but instead use more LR and Pod Piles and build a better skimmer....what type of skimmer, I have these plans for a counter current skimmer that is 6' tall and 4" in diameter. Is this big enough. Also, with out the caulerpa, is the refugium simply there to breed the copepods in the LR? I thought you were suppose to have the macroalgae to fight with the microalgae for nutrient export. I just want to know what would be best. Thanks
Do not use a skimmer, use mm and caulerpa

yellowta2000 said:
Do not use a skimmer, use mm and caulerpa

Welcome to Reef Frontiers Yellowta2000.

As for your comment I would be interested to hear why you would recommend not to use a Skimmer and use Cualerpa? I have read the debates and experienced cualerpa and just my opinion I wouldn't run a tank without a skimmer (long term) and cualerpa can be a loaded gun if you don't manage it.

caulpera is natural in the ocean and is found outside of the natural reef. The reef is filtered in the wild with caulpera. The maricle mud was discovered by a korean man who decided to test a piece of ocean bottom. The mud he found contained minerals. Therefor he made mud and added those minerals. These minerals are what helps the coral and the natural filtration in the ocean. Also, with this mud you can buy ocean blend chemicals - the of the minerals you add daily are in the mud. use the mud for 2 years the change half. There is no need to add chemicals daily with mud. Only 1 a week. I have a 75 gallon oceanic with a 400mh 10000k, (2) 96w actinic, a 29 gallon mud sump, with bio balls. Thats it. Well the pump. Been going strong for 3 years never a problem. I will recommend the mud and no skimmer. When you use a skimmer you rob nutrients that the coral, live rock, and live sand feed on. If you cannot get past my way of doing. Run a skimmer on a timer. For about 5 hours every night. That is the most. A reef tank takes care of itself. In that 75 gallon tank I have 2400 gph flow. On a mag pondmaster 24. I have (2) aquaclear 901 powerheads on the lower are of my tank. You have to have good waterflow to beat the algae out of it hiding spots. And to please the coral. That is my whole setup. 3 years mm caulpura and NO skimmer.

Skimming is also something done in Nature. As the waves turn over, they churn in air into the water... forming bubbles that raise, and with them taking DOM's to the surface... also causing foam. The same happens when the surf crashes near land masses and reefs... lifting those dissolved solids once again, to be deposited on the beaches.

I don't have a "Do it this way" opinion here. I have seen many tanks of many different varieties (Miracle Mud, Deep Sand, Bare Bottom, Skimmer, Skimmerless, Zeo) that people have had wonderful success with. If it is working for you, USE IT!!!

I know my limitations and downfalls in husbandry... and for my trend of overfeeding my tank, having a very strong skimmer helps me keep some of that in check, as does stronger flow to help keep the left-overs from that feeding in the water column, where it can be skimmed.

All in all, when you see someone’s tank and are admiring how beautiful they are... ask questions about their husbandry and setup. Listen with an open mind. Take that information to how it may fit in YOUR part of the sea in your home... and keep your fingers crossed that you're doing the best you can for your animals that are bringing you such pleasure and pride!!!

yellowta2000 said:
caulpera is natural in the ocean and is found outside of the natural reef.

True but so are sharks and we don't put them in our reef tanks because of problems they will cause. :D Anyways the reason I don't like cualerpa is becasue it can go a sexual and poison your tank at any given time. I prefer macroalgaes like brillo pad and gracillaria over cualerpa. Now I know there are folks out there that have used cualerpa for years and never had a problem but with the luck I have I won't go there.

As for the miracle mud I have no opinion either way. I have heard both positives and negatives about it. No one in our area uses it that I know of? I like the idea of not having to add chemicals all the time. I watched a special on TV on deep sa life and they showed these underwater vents "smoke stacks" that were venting hot water into the ocean and in that hot water were all kinds of minerals from the earth's core. This is said to be the source of all the minerals in the oceans. So I take it that these are deposited in the mud that was tested by the Korean gentleman and hence he designed the ingredients for MM.

Is the two year time frame a general rule or is there an equation to it? Ex: amount of sand, depth of mud, amount of live stock, etc? Is there a way to test the saturation of the mud or do you test the water and it tells you time to change the mud?

Like Ed said "I don't have a "Do it this way" opinion here. I have seen many tanks of many different varieties (Miracle Mud, Deep Sand, Bare Bottom, Skimmer, Skimmerless, Zeo) that people have had wonderful success with. If it is working for you, USE IT!!!" I just ask a lot of questions so I can learn more about stuff. Thanks for sharing :)

My Refuge Set Up Tonite.

Hello Pondguy. I Just Added A Above Tank Refuge To My Tank Tonite. 10g Acrilic ( Main Tank 75g ) Supplie By Mag 350, Gravity Return Via 3/4'' Pvc W/ball Valve To Reg Level, Lit By Lights Of America 27w Pc 6700k ( Soon Tobe Replaced By 50/50 28 Or 32w From Local Dealer ( Ha-ha ). See My Pics. As For Technical Resons Nitrates Will Drop And The Addition Looks Great And Deversifies Your Tank.
P.s. I Still Have My Wet/dry And Protine Skimmer.

Last edited:
Back