DIY Stand Remodel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm not pushing full volume with my pump.. but they should handle 1000-1400 Only using a Mag 5 on 4' head right now. Its enough for sump flow.

Stream pumps are a great idea. I will look into it!

Interesting thing... found my shrimp molted.. then I look back and see his dead body on the intake of my Rio HF20. All his feelers/feet/antenna sucked into the motor. So I go grab my net and start to pull him out. My sand sifting goby jumps up into the net and pulls the dead shrimp out and starts munching it down!

Finally have a picture of my blenny in the open and picture of Xenia opening up.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you be able to make smaller overflows using smaller PVC and save some tank real estate then? An overflow from 4" PVC with 1.25" PVC piping seems rather large. Would 2 overflows using 3/4" get you the desired 500-600gph range instead?

Last edited:
You are correct. I just wanted extra insurance that the overflows could handle if one were to fail the other should be able to take up the slack. I thought about doing 3" pvc surface skimmer but it was a tight fit with the 1.25 and 2" cap. Also not really sure if I want to keep the mag 5 in the sump or maybe throw my rios in there if I can quieten them down.

Excuse me but I need to go scratch my nose.

Last edited:
Last comment was directed at your signature dhnguyen. I had to look at what Carpe Narem meant. Well I've done it again. Changed my mind and drilled my tank center brace for a wave2k and bulkheads on each end. Will have pics up later.

The overflows were a learning and fun experience.

Oh and those overflows I had were throwing out 1400 gph combined and still not fully used by the time I finished testing them.

Took forever to drill through the 3/8" thick glass with my rotozip. (Should have used a diamond tipped hole saw.)

Last edited:
New Pics - Drilled Tank with surface skimmers. I think it turned out fairly effective... Water never goes over all the eggcrate. Just about 1/3 of a square on the outside rim of the pvc the water is using. I bet I could pull a lot more GPH through the sump if needed. Bulkheads are 1 1/2" each and go to the 1 1/4" pipe that was used before with my huge overflows listed earlier in the post.

Last edited:
Back