DIY Wavebox

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Al G.

minimum wage,maximum rage
I just found this interesting thread on RC. Complete with videos.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1007362&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

A DIY Wavebox using a modded MJ. Pics and videos are from the thread on RC.

DSC03516.jpg

DSC03518.jpg

video 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwIF1Mi-KyA

video 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dCfdVDEWVak

Last edited:
another cool toy!

:) I like to try to build one of those. Where do you find the plans for it?
Good Job Todd!:)

I didn't build one. I just found the thread. Looks doable though.

From reading the thread, it looks like the biggest question is how long will the MJ mod hold up to the rapid and repeated on/offs.

Hey Ed, Since you already have tunzes and the tunze controller, you can stick the tunze in the box instead of the MJ mod, and use the controller to do the on/off switching.

T-odd

I didn't build one. I just found the thread. Looks doable though.

From reading the thread, it looks like the biggest question is how long will the MJ mod hold up to the rapid and repeated on/offs.

Hey Ed, Since you already have tunzes and the tunze controller, you can stick the tunze in the box instead of the MJ mod, and use the controller to do the on/off switching.

T-odd

I may buy another Tunze and try this. Todd, K1 Firghts are on right now too;)

From reading the thread, they talk about making the box external. I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would be perfect if you get your tank custom built with the external box already attached on it.

For cheap testing purposes, I'm looking around my home for any similar sized plastic container(the commercial Wavebox is 4.9in x 4.4in x 11.8in). The one good thing, about the internal box, is it doesn't have to be thick walled or made very well.

so from the looks of it, the MJ pulls water into the box and then the box flushes out. I cannot tell in your pics where the outlet for the MJ is?

Mat

The water goes in and out of the box through the MJ mod's shroud. If you check out the thread on RC, there's good info on there.

People already have been addressing the weakness of the design(the MJ mod itself) and making it better.

quangtam, already has a MJ mod that spins in the right direction 100 percent of the time without any damage to the prop, ie no clicking.

Of course if you already have a Tunze stream model(?) and controller, you just need to build/buy a box.

wavebox2.png

the way this works is:
the maxi jet pushes water out of the box into the tank at a very high rate thus creating a swell. then the pump shuts of and the water goes back into the box (the box is under water ) then the pump comes on and pushes it back out. if the pump were to shut off long enuff the box would fill with water level to the tank water..
(the only thing the maxijet is doing is pumping water into the tank)

Matt

The box is like having another internal overflow box(4"X4"x12"). Having everything external(overflow and wavebox) would be great.

I think IAP/CFI or some other custom tank builder already builds tanks with the external wavebox. Even if they don't, it's something they could easily offer with their custom tanks.

please - somebody try this! How long will the MJ last? This is an exciting design that could change the way people setup their tanks!

I am a well experianced maximoder and I cant see the maximod lasting more than a few months. Once you factor in the cost of replacing the PH a few time your close to a tunze. But other than that I am all for it. Infact I think I will throw one together for myself!

Scott

ya i was following that thread for a while they just need to find a cheap pump that can handle the stress of being turned on and off every 3 4 or 5 seconds

Back