dkh to high

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What is your CA level? How high is your dKH? You can lower your dKH by adding only a calcium supplement with no alkalinity buffers, assuming your CA isn't too high also.

Susie :)

That is too high also. What are you using as additives right now? Also, which salt mix?

Instant Ocean, I have a calc reactor that I have slowes way down. I tested the my replacement saltwater w/IO and it had a dKH of 11 and my ro/di fresh water is 0.
Since I tested hi I am not using any additives. I have tried a little Kalw to raise my ph after trying carbonated water.

Well with as high as your calcium is that really isn't all that high. If you want your parameters to be balanced your dkh should be up at 26! I would recommend turning off your calcium reactor, and not adding anything. Just do waterchanges with IO weekly and it will come down before too long.

What will really cause problems is if you do anthing to drastic and cause a snow storm. I am not a expert by any means, but I would vote to bring it back slowly.

It depends on what's in your tank, but if it were me I'd do exactly as BigT says and bring it down slowly with water changes. What is your PH?

It stays @ 8 pretty much all day. I added seltzer water yesterday and it made the ph drop but it has returned to 8

If your adding things like seltzer and sparkling water that contain bicarbonate, your only going to give ph a hit and raise you dkh. I'd agree with Tom. Shut down the the reactor and just do a wc or two.

Don

And don't forget to test the levels of the new saltwatermix before you do a 25% water change :)

Thanks my replacement saltwater is running a hardness of 10dKH. By turning my CA reactor way down my Ca and ALK is slowly dropping.

Back