DLSR raw photo question??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wow don thanks .. now I need someone to translate all those accronyms. LOL

Im sorry. DPP is the program that came with your Canon. Digital photo professional along with the picture style editor. LR is Adobe Light Room. I just mentioned it because so many people use it.

Don

It's like I said yesterday. Jpg pre edits your photos, inside the camera. When you see the Jpg image, it's already been edited, to some extent.

RAW photos are completely unedited, and require you to edit them, before they can be viewed as acceptable.

Yes exactly. I just mentioned the DPP and style editor because it helps inexperienced users see what is actually being applied before they get frustrated and give up on RAW altogether.

Don

Adam, another way to think of it, that may help.

RAW is kind of the equivalent of a negative. Think of it as a digital negative. It must be processed, before being "viewed," or printed.

Jpg or Tiff images would be considered "positive" images, or "ready to use." They've already undergone an editing process and compression (in the case of Jpg) by your camera.

A lot of people ask, "why even shoot in RAW, if it requires editing?"

RAW gives you a "lossless" and uncompressed file to work with. You have a lot more editing options, without degrading the image quality or size. In RAW, ALL of the image data, recorded by the camera sensor, is saved. Jpg compresses the file, deleting a lot of the image data, but results in a "usable photo" immediately. RAW will always give you a better "final product," once you've done the work of editing it properly, which is quite time consuming and a complicated process to learn.

If you have your camera set up to shoot JpgL/RAW, and take pictures and then view them, on your monitor, you'll notice that the RAW image lacks color saturation, lacks contrast, and will need to be sharpened. The Jpg image has already undergone all of these "changes," in the camera, so the photo looks "better."

However, in RAW, you have MUCH more control over what and how the photo is edited, without losing image quality and size.

So, back to your photos. You took your RAW image and corrected the white balance only. There's still a lot more that usually needs to be done, to a RAW image, before it's an acceptable "usable photo." The RAW image is showing more "noise" because there's much more information available, in the image data. The Jpg image shows less noise, because the jpg compression and self editing, removed some of the noise.

Mightyee Mouse
Download LR you will thank me later

yes,download LR,,you will love it:)[/QUOTE]

Id have to agree. LR does alot for its small package and is much easier than photo shop. I just dont get photo shop but do pretty good in LR. Here is one I did of my grandson. He had a huge kiddy tatoo on his forhead and a scrape on his nose.:)

LOL ha ha you guys suck I downloaded Lightroom and it wont import ANY of my photos.. NONE and I even tryied to downlaod free copy and it wants me to do a free 30 day trial..
Right I hate computers and I have pics and I am VERY pissed right now

I see it only import lr supported files, so now I have to take pics go to lightroom first then save as to get them to photoshop then save as again?!?!?!?!

Well dunno what to say. Their trial version worked for me until I bought it. But if your up to it there are a million cracked version on torrent sites. But lr is surely worth paying for. It is aaamaaaziing
LOL ha ha you guys suck I downloaded Lightroom and it wont import ANY of my photos.. NONE and I even tryied to downlaod free copy and it wants me to do a free 30 day trial..
Right I hate computers and I have pics and I am VERY pissed right now

I don't really get what you're asking. But yes if you feel the need to photoshop after u use lr (you shouldn't) export it into whatever format you want to use in photoshop. As stated by others its actually easier to use than photoshop and is picture base rather than pixel based like ps
I see it only import lr supported files, so now I have to take pics go to lightroom first then save as to get them to photoshop then save as again?!?!?!?!

No it will import canon RAW and JPG. Yes its a 30 day trial its not free. I think it retails for $200. Alot of folks got in on the free LR beta but I think that is gone.

Don

O.K. I got it on and edited now..
Now how do I get it off there to do anything else to it??
or save as Jpeg now it done editing (forthe first ttry in Lightroom??)

heres just playing with LIGHTROOM for the first time with raw image
IMG_4058.jpg

start to looking pretty good ,watch out for the color change,,make it close to the real thing as possible,white balance?,not to saturated?,keep playing it ,a lot more fun when you are processing through PS,,have fun:)

Last edited:
Back