Do all Wrasses do this...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scottd

I read somewhere that wrasses make a cocoon to sleep in at night. Just wondering if thats all wrasses. I have a Lubbocks that makes its fins and around its eyes glow yellow when it is showing off. Very strange I am gonna try to get it on video because its wild. Scott

I've read somewhere than some wrasses do it, but not all. As for which ones, I couldn't say...That's cool on your wrasse showing off! I'll keep an eye out for the video if you get one:)

Doesn't stop moving, same as my juvenille Atlantic Blue, can't catch that turkey in a picture! So I have been resorting to video and removing the frames.

I have a pair of Lubbock's fairy wrasses and they create a "caccoon" at night." It appears as a messy web if they don't have a hide holeto go into. The caccoon is apparent if they use a hide area that has an open end like under a flat rock. The majority of wrasse bury themselves at night or if they are stressed - like a coris or leopard wrasse.

The cool thing about the slime coat that Wrasses wrap themselves in is that it also masks their scent. This can be very beneficial in the wild where so many predators rely on scent to find food. I've had a 6 Lined Wrasse that occassionally wrapped itself up at night, but usually buried itself in the sand. I now have a 6 Line that I've never seen do either.

Your video does a great job of capturing the bright yellow coloration your Wrasse displays. I congratulate you on even being able to keep a Wrasse in the frame...lol.

Back