Do clowns pick at clams?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jag3534

We got two crocea clams yesterday evening, and I just saw my B&W occ. clown female go into the larger clam and sort of scrape her jaws on the inside of the clams mantle. She also went to the edge of the mantle and sort of jawed the outside of it.
So... is she preparing to host in it? Or am I about to have a clownless tank??:mad:

Clowns are funny like that. I’ve seem mine just go up and put its mouth on the edge of a coral and just sit there for a minute with its mouth on it. Not biting at it or anything like that just sitting there. Kind of strange. Almost like a baby putting things in its mouth to examine it.

Clowns are funny like that. I’ve seem mine just go up and put its mouth on the edge of a coral and just sit there for a minute with its mouth on it. Not biting at it or anything like that just sitting there. Kind of strange. Almost like a baby putting things in its mouth to examine it.

Yeah, it is like that! Just sort of tasting it. But also a bit of head nudging and head digging. Goofy clown. :rolleyes:
I'm keeping my eye on her! It'd be such a shame if she turned clam eat-ee on us. We'e had her for almost a year and she is such a gorgeous pure black from ORA.....

My guess would be that the clown is checking the clam out as a potential host. I have read a number of posts where clownfish took a clam as a host. Does your clam current have something it resides in as a host?

My guess would be that the clown is checking the clam out as a potential host. I have read a number of posts where clownfish took a clam as a host. Does your clam current have something it resides in as a host?

I'm assuming you meant does the CLOWN have something to host, ;) But no they do not host anything now. They host the side corner wall of the tank.

I have 2 true percs that don't bother my clam but had to get rid of my Bicolor Blenny due to it picking at the clams mantle :mad:

I've had clowns that like to pick at them and I've had clowns that "feed" clams. They would blow food out of their mouths into the clam. It seems to vary alot.

Back