Do skimmers provide sufficient aeration?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gort

Dazed and confused
I have a Solana 34 AIO - stock except for an upgraded media basket from StevieT. Wondering if the skimmer injects enough air to keep the water aerated or if I should direct the loc-line return pump nozzles toward the surface to provide more "disturbance" etc. I try to situate those around to eliminate dead spots in the display tank flow...

Last edited:
A skimmer does a good job at oxygenating the water quite a bit, but it's at the surface of the water where most of the gas exchange takes place so you will want good surface aggitiation. In addition to that, when you have stagnant water on the surface of the tank, sometimes a film forms there so this is a good way to prevent that from happening as well. I'd definately use the lockline for surface aggitation and let the other pumps/powerheads provide the flow for the tank.

Just a few personal thoughts. :)

I have to dissagree with Krish.
A skimmer does a good job at oxygenating the water quite a bit, but it's at the surface of the water where most of the gas exchange takes place so you will want good surface aggitiation. In addition to that, when you have stagnant water on the surface of the tank, sometimes a film forms there so this is a good way to prevent that from happening as well. I'd definately use the lockline for surface aggitation and let the other pumps/powerheads provide the flow for the tank.

Wait, this is verbatum what he wrote. Guess that means I FULLY agree.

I have to dissagree with Krish.

Wait, this is verbatum what he wrote. Guess that means I FULLY agree.

:lol: Silly goose!! :p

Back