Do You Feed Garlic?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do You Feed/Use Garlic?

• I always feed/use it as a preventative to disease.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • I only use it when disease is present.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I've tried it and observed no benefits.

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • I've never fed/used garlic (except for vampires or gravy)

Votes: 50 38.5%
  • Other (please add below)

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

NaH2O

Do you feed garlic/garlic extract (fresh or bottled) to your fish? Some people swear by its use, others claim its great for prevention, and then some say there are no observed benefits what-so-ever. If you always feed it, feed it occasionally, or have tried it, which products have you used?

Here are a couple of articles for your reading pleasure:

Garlic versus 'Marine Ich': Diallyl thiosulfinate activity against Cryptocaryon irritans infestations of marine fish by Horge Cortes-Jorge Jr.

Garlic: What has been Studied versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro

Only unless it counts coming from the different Formula foods like Formula 1, Formula 2 etc...I have every one made that I feed with on down to the pellets:)

I have to believe it doesn't cure Marine Ick. I do think it helps stimulate appetite. When I had a fish that wasn't doing well & showed signs if Ick, I have used it for this purpose, no proof if it works or not but I have to wonder why garlique is used for a supplement in people & where is the proof that it is beneficial for your heart?

hmm the only benefit you get from garlic is that your fishes don't get their blood suck by vampires :D .... ok ok i better stop this gabster madness.
Sorry for my crazyness and lets continue :) >

Seachem Garlic Guard = Snake oil?

I use this and have been since I started They have alot of good things to say about Seachem Garlic Guard:Seachem GarlicGuard is an appetite/flavor enhancer for saltwater fish And I use it for feeding My Inverts as well. Simply soak the food in Garlic Guard before feeding your fish. GarlicGuard will help renew the interest of poor or finicky eaters. GarlicGuard contains the naturally derived, active ingredient found in garlic, allicin, which has been demonstrated to possess health promoting benefits. Allicin possesses strong anti-oxidant properties (similar to Vitamin C) which promote enhanced health through elimination of dangerous free radicals. For enhanced health benefits, GarlicGuard also contains Vitamin C. Have i seen it make my fish super?

Dosent hurt them to my knowledge;)

I use the Kent Garlic X-treme. I don't necessarily feed it daily, because I alternate my food additives from Selcon, Vita-Chem, and the garlic....however, I feed it regularly enough that I voted for always feed. I haven't found any evidence that says garlic is harmful to feed to fish, nor have I seen any issues with my fish from feeding it. I'm trying to provide a good diet to my fish, and if there is a chance this helps with immune function, or intestinal worms, etc...I'll use it. Is it snake oil?? I'm not convinced either way. I certainly feel when it comes to diseases, the best treatments are in QT, with proper medication, so I don't advocate it against the onset of disease, but I don't see any problems with using it as a supplement.

I use the Kent product as well but I do not use it for parasite/bacterial prevention. I think it's a great antioxidant and may help boost the fish's immune response but I would not place it above any other type of "vitamin" suppliment many already use. Selcon/Selco, Zoecon, Beta Glucan and the like are all good products and should be used equally. Same line of thinking in regard to food types, variety is the key. While garlic has anecdotally been shown to somewhat improve fish health, I seriously doubt it could ever cure anything. At best, I think you'll see and alleviation of symptom or a reduction in infestation levels but nothing more.

Cheers
Steve

At best, I think you'll see and alleviation of symptom or a reduction in infestation levels but nothing more.

sorta like an aspirin huh? I have a headache, if it helps relieve the pain I want it LOL!

It is always in the mix that I feed. I don't know if it works, But I have had my Achilles tang now for about 2+ years, and he is just one healthy little guy.
IMG_5325.JPG.JPG
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I put never fed garlic, but I just realized my Formula One has garlic in it so add me to those that use it...Dang always answering before thinking

What about the poll result, for when I feel like it. I dont have a set feeding schedule, or a set feeding amount. I do have several different foods, and supplements. Kent G. Extreme is one of them. I just kinda do what I feel like as to feeding. Same way I cook.
I tell the kids when you grow up, pay for a house, pay for electricity, pay for food, cook the food, and serve the food, you get to pick what we eat. Same goes for the fish. LOL
I am kinda seeing it like this. Fish never know when they are going to eat in the wild, the may get a feast today, and famine tomorrow. I dont know that its right, I do know my fish look wonderful, fat, healthy, and colorful.

ive been feeding garlic to fish for approx 6 yrs now
i use kyolic garlic tablets dissolved in water add a few drops to every feeding.
my biggest test was recently when i purchased a powder blue tang 3 months ago it acquired ick and now has no ick,also i find that garlic stimulates feeding.

vic

I feed it all the time, not sure of any results good or bad, but never had a fish die from the use of it.

It will definately boost immune system, but definately don't use as a replacement for vitamins and a variety of food.Probably most effective when you add a new specimen or after you quarantine a fish.

I have been feeding my fish bananas mixed with garlic lately, I really don't think the garlic does anything but give my moorish Idol terrable bad breath.
:lol:
Paul

Back