Do You Feed Garlic?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do You Feed/Use Garlic?

• I always feed/use it as a preventative to disease.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • I only use it when disease is present.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I've tried it and observed no benefits.

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • I've never fed/used garlic (except for vampires or gravy)

Votes: 50 38.5%
  • Other (please add below)

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters
I feed Kent Garlic X-treme a few times a week, along with Selcon and a wide variety of different frozen and dried foods - I've never had problems with ick (knock on wood.) :)

Italian Birth Control

Tons and tons of it, never been sick because of it! Oh wait, we were talking about fish right, um, then I would have to say none is ever left over after I get done with it!

I tried feeding garlic to my fishies, but seems to just stimulate their feeding habits. All the fish seem to smell it somehow? HMMM GARLIC. But really didn't see too much of a difference as of health wise of a fish.

cybrstarr - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

4.gif

I have made my own garlic potion fro curing marine ick. I take a half dozen garlic cloves and boil them in water until they are very soft. I strain the water and use it to soak teh fish food in for a few minutes before feeding the fish. I even add some of this water directly into my brine shrimp bucket with no ill effects to the shrimp. The fish seem to have increased appetites as well as being freed from the disease.

The chemicals in the garlic are extruded by the fish through the skin. This irritates the ick parasite which release from the fish and drop to the bottom of the tank where they eventually die.

I don't use it now, but thinking about giving it a try as part of a varied diet a few days a week -- can't hurt right? :D

Back