Do you have bulkheads in the bottom of your tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

I would like to hear from anybody who has had good quality schedule 80 bulkheads in the bottom of their tank for a closed loop, and have had them for a long time.

Have you had any problems with leaking or anything? Would you do anything differently if you had it to do over again? Please mention if your tank is acrylic or glass. My new tank is 3/4" acrylic and my flow design includes several schedule 80 bulkheads on the bottom.....

Thanks

no problems here just make sure there tight (not tooo tight)
I have 14 bulkheads in the bottom of my tank with no problems.3/4 acrylic.

Jan,

I do and have no problem. Ask Eric about them he did the installation on my tank.

Hi Kirk, :)

Eric is definitely in favor of them and he's had no problems but I've also heard the expression, "it's not IF they're going to leak, it's When." So I am wondering about people who have had them in their tanks for years, and their experience over time.

8 in the main display + 6 in the bottom of the overflow. Going on appx 9 mos.. 1/2 acrylic.. no problems yet.. knock on wood.

TIP: make sure your holes in bottom of the stand are large enough where you could service without having to lift the tank off the stand. I learned the hard way :) I learn a lot of things the hard way :lol:

Jan,

My tank is coming on its 1yr anniversary (in May), and so far no leaks, no drips, no errors (in the spirit of baseball) :D:D

Jan,

Imade the swich to sch 80 about 7 years ago for all closed loop BH's through the bottom. A client at the time was re-arranging his rock and dropped it strait on a regular bulkhead. Split it and he had to drain the whole system to fix it.

But as far as leaking down the road, they are as solid as can be. Any problems with them can usually be traced back to improper instal. Glass or acrylic makes no difference. Just acrylic is better all around. (sneeked that in)

Good luck,
Jason

Danno,

Agreed. I have one of Jason's tanks (375g) and can attest it is the best built tank I've ever owned.

Kirk

Hi Jan,

As you probably heard I had to tear my tank down not because of any problems but because I am moving. It looks like I will have sell my tank and build another because my new place will not accomodate it.

With respect to the holes in the bottom for CL, it is absolutely safe. Go with the Sched 80 they are pretty much bullet proof. They seal up just fine and the hydraulic pressure works in your favor.

My tank has 12 holes through the bottom in the display area for CLs and another 5 holes through the bottom of the overflow for the main/return, overflow, and electrical conduits. Not one drop of leakage ever.

Hi Mark,

Yeah, I heard about your move. That's sad that you won't be able to bring your tank with you. I hope you come back onto RF and show everyone your new tank though, when you get one set up.

I've had those bulkheads on the bottom of a 100g plywood tank for almost 5 years with no issues :)

mkay, so, im the bad(or bald) man who put this little thought into jan's head...:eek:

you gotta look at it from my angle too though.
i've been a pro tank guy for 10+ years now,
and if i had a dollar for every time i get that call
that a bulkhead, or plumbing glued to said bulkhead,
installed by some moron, with no stinking valve,
rubber gaskets on the wrong sides, no large enough
holes in furniture to access bulkhead nuts, yada yada yada,
...well, i'd have about 20 dollars, lol, but that's 20 dollars too many!!:evil:

the only thing that makes this doable on jan's tank imo,
is the fact that it's a thick acrylic envision tank,
(if it was made by jason, it would be better;))
and that Veralte is doing a pro install on it.
i've seen their plumbing work, it's sweet.

now my only gripe is with the small unnatural nozzel
outlets of said closed loops, i prefer the wide outlets
of the low watt tunze pumps, and the energy savings
you enjoy from them compared to the large external
pumps used for closed loops. also, i think it's safe to
say that any plumbing for a closed loop should probably
be replaced (or at least taken apart and cleaned) after 5-7
years too. that means breaking down and draining your
reef when you have holes on the bottom.
but if you are using the sched. 80 bh's,
and you could screw lids into the top, and then unscrew
said plumbing to be replaced/cleaned, you could probably get
over 10 years out of a sched. 80 bulkhead.

Back