Do you use a Phosphate Remover?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do you use a Phosphate Remover?

• No - currently I don't use one

Votes: 94 49.2%
  • Iron Based (ROWAphos, PhosBan, PHOSaR, etc.)

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Aluminum Based (PhosGuard, etc.)

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Filter Pads (i.e. Polyfilter, etc.)

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • More than one of the above

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

NaH2O

Do you use a Phosphate Remover? If so, what type do you use? Do you use it all the time or just occasionally? How do you use it...in a fluidized reactor or in a media bag?

I run a TLF phosban reactor 24/7 with the Julian Sprungs phosban media. I change my media out every 2 months:)

I run filter bags and change them out once a week and i also run a phosphate remover in a media bag and i change it when it starts to turn a yellowish color. Usually once every month and a half.

I run a TLF phosban reactor 24/7 with phosban media. I change my media out every 4 months.

Here was a past thread where we discussed an article on phosphate remover media. There is a link to the article and discussion about it: Phosphate Remover Article. I think whatever media you choose, it is important to break your tank into it slowly. I used ROWAphos in the past, and now I'm going to give Warner Marine's new product a try.

I used to use a TLF phosban reactor

I used to use a TLF phosban reactor mine devloped a leak at the top seal and wont seal anymore the Kind Krish has with the nylon locking nuts may be more of a pain to work on but i bet you wont have any leaking problems.;) I just use bags now with rowaphos. I currently have been trying Pura Phoslock and had good results with it I do want to try the Warner product and see how it preforms..:)

krish75 said:
I run a TLF phosban reactor 24/7 with the Julian Sprungs phosban media. I change my media out every 2 months:)

I currently don't use one, and don't plan on using any type of phosphate remover.

Best,
Ilham

I try JBL PhosEx (and turn my water into green - disappear after some period) and now I am on Rowa. Actually it is difficult to find any in my country.

I currently do not have any phosphate remover (was gonna get the pad type at the store this weekend but forgot) but since the skimmerstein project is complete I am planning on building a pseudo phosban reactor.

I am always intrigued when someone states they don't have a phosphate issue. I have never tested aquarium water that did not have phosphates to be equal to or lower then the recommend 0.03 as per our Merck test kits. I have tested freshly mixed saltwater that had higher readings. The one exception was a tank that had regular dosing of kalkwasser and higher then what I like to run calcium.

I am not trying to sell anything here, but products like phosphate reducers and refugiums allow you to almost over feed your tank so your fish and corals always have a supply of food available to them. That is how it is in their natural environment. Do not discount these tools as something you don't need. Do your research to see if your system would benefit from their use.

I'm glad you threw refugiums into your reply. I love macro algae to remove PO4.

But, I am not sure about your signature!

The statement "Remember, Feed your Fish, Not your Algae" refers to being able to really feed your aquarium, but not worrying about the excess food helping to grow algae. Phosphate is the leading enrichment for most algae. Phosphate is also very high in most foods.

If you look at a bag of fertilizer for your lawn, it will either have phosphate or Nitrate as it's main ingredient. What does the fertilizer do to your lawn, it helps it turn a beautiful dark green and grow very thick. Both Phosphate and Nitrate will help algae grow like it does your lawn.

I am curious as to what macro algae you have that will consume phosphate.

I have never used a Phosphate remover and don't plan on using it unless I get a serious algae problem. I feed daily, use tap water and have a DSB so algae down the road may be a serious problem for me, but until then I don't feel the need to use one at this time.

Back