Does anyone drink RO/DI water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lizardarm

Reptilian Disco Biscuit
between a rock and a hard place: (Bremerton, WA)
Hey everyone,
as the title says,
do any of you drink DI water?
I was thinking of using it for feeding my snake, but I'm not sure if it's safe.
Back on the submarines we used it for electronics cooling and it was always said that it wasn't safe to drink; But I've also heard that that is total hogwash. I drank a glass yesterday and didn't get sick, but I'd hate to have it kill my snake.
thanks in advance,
chris

it is totally safe in bodybuilding it is used the last week before show prep because there is no impurities that will make you hang on to excess water

The bottled ro/di water I use to buy for my tank was the same thing we buy to drink. Worked out great because if the tank ran short, I could steal a few gallons out of the kitchen. So far, no mutations here :p

I have a T on my system just so I can fill up my water bottles that I use for drinking. Been drinking it for several months.

yeah I figure it would be safe because when I use to buy my water from the grocery store which is for drinking it shows the steps it goes through and R/O is one of the steps so i'm sure it is safe.

Yep, I drink it all the time. I cant remember when I drank tap water last...I do have this weird thing called epilepsy now though...J/K

Why should my fish drink better water than me?

doesn't distilled water have a very low oxygen content?

wiki says it's ok, but that it lacks alot of the good stuff your body/teeth needs, and using purely distilled in aquariums is not even advised.

Chris - I work in the TV industry and we too use ro/di water as a coolant for our transmitters, which probably generate about the same heat index as your subs did. The water is treated with an anti-corrosive chemical though which is the part that makes it bad. If I remember correctly, it's the same (or similar) as the active ingredient of anti-freeze. I found that out after thinking I would be slick and bring home a few of the handy blue 50g containers for water storage. after calling the company we decided to go buy a few rubbermaids. What you make at our house though should be far better than what comes from your tap.

ask kevpo he explained what u have to do to make it drinkable. i think it is the "t" thing but no recommended for all drinking

doesn't distilled water have a very low oxygen content?

wiki says it's ok, but that it lacks alot of the good stuff your body/teeth needs, and using purely distilled in aquariums is not even advised.

Why is just distilled in aquariums not advisable?

You cant live off of DI water alone but we drink enough other stuff to offset what its lacking. I think the bigmacs will kill you quicker.

Don

I feed the waste water to my garden plants, but it tastes about the same as tap water. RODI water is quite bland. Add a little Tequila and lime to it and it perks it right up

Back