RO/DI filter questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Earl,

In any event, I would get a handheld TDS meter. I would check the tap water going into the unit first. This will be your baseline.

:)

You can get by with a hand held tds meter.

The dual meters are good for determining when your membrane and filters need to be changed vs. when your di need to be changed. Althought a lot of di resin changes color, I do not find it is always a perfect indicator that your are still getting 0 tdi.

Also, one additional thing to consider is a drinking unit.

I like having good drinking water and ince cubes. Also I have 4 gallons of water at my disposal at all times.

If you are going to have storage containers, this does not matter as much.

Thank you Crack31. I live in an apartment so storage containers are 5 gallon uckets. Top off water is about the only thing I store and for that I use an empty 5 gallon bucket that was a Instant Ocean Salt bucket. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment so room for storage is at a premium. I don't really need a drinking unit, our water is pretty good here, and because I live in an apartment mounting a separate faucet would be frowned upon. We also don't use ice cubes, don't even have ice cube trays anymore. Thanks for your help, when October arrives I will be getting my unit.

Hey Kirk, I got a hand held TDS meter today from Barrier Reef, and that's all I bought. I got real nervous when I saw all of the fish and coral, but I told myself, concentrate, you have other wants right now, your tank has plenty, so all I got was the meter. I checked my incoming water and it is at 71 ppm, so that's not too bad. I will be getting a 5 stage in about 5 weeks and I am really excited.

Last edited:
Dang. I get upset when I see 20ppm and really upset when I saw 33ppm the other day.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

I see posts in other forums that in some states people are seeing 300 ppm and 500 ppm, I think we are lucky that here in the Seattle area that we have low TDS. Not much you can do about the TDS going in. I was at my sons yesterday in Bellevue and he had 28 ppm and has a Brita water filter jug and after it is ran through the filter he was getting 11 ppm.

Earl,

and for that amount is when a DI is appropriate to use..my TDS coming in is ~25-30ppm, so I am not using DI but a second sediment filter...I have 4 stage unit...the first two chambers are sediment filters, the third is carbon.

I check mine here in Renton and I had 78 ppm coming in and I have an API Tap Water Filter, which is basically a dionization filter only, and I just changed the cartridge and the water coming out is 3 TDS. This is what I have been using ever since I started over a year ago. I haven't had any real issues but now since I moved to here from Bothell, I am getting some algae issues on the rocks and brown diatom on the sand. I think it is because I need an RO unit. The algae is like a wiry type algae and not the fine hair algae. I pull it off, while my clownfish viciously attacks me, but it just keeps coming back. Will the RO help with this?

just set up my new brs 5 stage today this thing is the caddilac. they give u duel tds meter every type on water in connecions you need even a pierce tap if u want to tap directly to a copper line. verry impressed with all the extras and the unit itself. 093 tds in and 000 tds out. deffinatly reccomrnd this one and i own three r/o units. but now my 3 stage with a new set of filers is now for sale.

Back