Does Flatworm Exit Have Effects On Corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
i am about to use some Flatworm exit on my tank..my last shipment of corals will be here tomorrow..i plan on treating the whole tank..i already have flatworms, so there is no use in dipping the new corals in FE..i know the worms release toxins when they die...will this affect my corals?? what should i look for??? i also remember someone saying that the recommended treatment time doesn't work.. how long should i leave the treatment in the tank for????

The EXIT NO, the toxins the flatworms leave Yes! you will want to have fresh salt water mixed and ready. 20-40% WC.

Only thing I ever lost with FE (as best I know) was a couple acro crabs. Use an extra strong dose and only run carbon or water change within a couple weeks if you really have to. FW can take that long to kill the hardiest of them.

does it brown any corals???? will i be able to tell if there are alot of toxins in the water by the way my corals look????? Mike, how much would you consider an extra strong dose?????

does it brown any corals???? will i be able to tell if there are alot of toxins in the water by the way my corals look????? Mike, how much would you consider an extra strong dose?????

1. No brown outs.
2. If fish and corals look and act fine, don't sweat it.
3. 25-50% over recommended dose depending on how resistant your planaria are.

The first ones will die and become floaters right away. Many others will just start moving trying to get to fresher water. The ones in the sand last the longest as that is where it takes the longest to get to.

Blow the rocks off with a small hand held powerhead. Keep a filter sock straining out the return line and clean it out every hour or so if you are concerned over toxins.

Works very well and never had a problem in any friends tanks nor mine.

cool.....my fish are all in QT right now, so i don't have any worries there!!! also, i have a BB tank...No sand!!!! also, my new tank is not drilled, so the i can't use a filter sock...i'll keep blowing the rocks and crevices every day of the treatment... i will also make up a huge amount of new water for a good water change.. i have a few lbs of carbon i can use also

well i'm on the second day of treatment with the FE..i haven't seen any ill effects from the toxins yet..i added at least 1-1/2 times the amount(maybe more) it has in the directions!!!i actually think that i might have gotten all of them with the iodine dip that i did a few weeks ago....afterwards i kept seeing something that i thought were flatworms, but they weren't....i am going to leave the FE in the tank for another 4-5 days, and then i will do a big water change and run carbon.

i can leave it for a while longer i guess....i may run it for around 2 weeks total...

Back