Dons halide fixture

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Very cool. So your going to swap it out with maple then. I understand how the boss thing works. My wife and her should get together but then our ears will fall off. :)

The cabinet is padauk ends with maple doors so I'll leave the light body maple and the end caps are padauk.
Really the only change is straight grained vs birdseye. That I really dont care about to much. I'm not getting paid to do this so It leaves some room for changes as I go. Now I have a bunch of birdseye for another project. I'll get it scraped and trimmed tonight and the guts will be here early next week.

Don

It should be a nice contrast with the light and dark wood. I am really digging the scraping method over the sanding. I saw the difference with the pictures you provided. I am going to invest in some scrapers and give it a try on some areas that i need to fine tune on my jatoba aquarium cabinet.

It should be a nice contrast with the light and dark wood. I am really digging the scraping method over the sanding. I saw the difference with the pictures you provided. I am going to invest in some scrapers and give it a try on some areas that i need to fine tune on my jatoba aquarium cabinet.

Just get one of the better ones. There are still some old sandvik stock in the rockler warehouse and two cherries just came out with one with comparable hardness to the old sandvik. If you get a cheap or off branded one you'll hate it and it will never produce shavings, just saw dust. You dont need to buy a expensive burnisher. I have a real nice one but never use it. I just what ever is handy, a chisel, screwdriver, lathe tool what ever is within reach.
It not a easy tool to learn how to use and most find it frustrating to learn how to sharpen it but once you have it you'll love it.

Don

Just a quick update. This project is nearing its end but I've been plagued with shipping issues so the last step of installing the reflectors and fans are at a stand still. I'm just using Hello lights 250w hqi de reflectors and geismann hanging cable kit. Of course cant install the fans until the reflectors come.
I'll post some pics of the bare fixture/housing later.

Don

This is the last set of construction pics. This is just the bottom side of the fixture getting a layer of padauk. Once this is finish cut and scraped the whole thing will get a few coats of laquer and assembled.
I'll be adding fans, two ballast and relays inside the fixture. You can see the HQI reflector sitting on the bench.

Don

This is the last set of construction pics. This is just the bottom side of the fixture getting a layer of padauk. Once this is finish cut and scraped the whole thing will get a few coats of laquer and assembled.
I'll be adding fans, two ballast and relays inside the fixture. You can see the HQI reflector sitting on the bench.

Don

THats going to be awesome! and just think its a one of a kind!!!

Matt

I love that bench. Did you build it? I am sure you did. I had to leave mine in NY when i moved. It killed me. I had it since i was about 15/16 years old.
The fixture is coming out awesome btw!

I love that bench. Did you build it? I am sure you did. I had to leave mine in NY when i moved. It killed me. I had it since i was about 15/16 years old.
The fixture is coming out awesome btw!

Thank you, yes I made it about 10 years ago. My next one, I think I should leave off the tool well. As you can see it just collects junk and garbage. :) I collect 4" cut off's for the top of my next bench. When I have enough time I'll glue them all up and make a end grain butcher block top. Pretty much every type of wood you can think of, should look interesting and will be my last bench. Something to pass down to my grandson.

Don

Lacking surface prep and finish, but I like it better than the industrial look of standard halide fixtures. Now I just have to figur out how to vent it tastfully.

Don

That is awesome Don. I have to say it is the nicest pendant i have ever seen. I can't wait to see it over the aquarium!

Thanks, you and me both. I think I may have found a nice solution to the venting. What do you guys think?

I like it.. is it copper?

Yes, its copper. I think the copper color would not be to flashy and take a persons eye away from the woodwork. They just pop in and out so I can clean them. Maybe If I sprayed it with laquer it wouldnt turn green. Doing custom furniture is great but mixing it with the issues of reefkeeping is a PITA.

Don

Like th ebrass look, blown up looks like a breather stack on a hot rod

:lol::lol: Just need a chrome blower.:D They are only 3" I'm thinking one in each end with the fans blowing out and two in the center bottom light side to suck air in. Or just one square one in the light side.

Don

Just make sure there's no way it cold fall into the tank. I seem to remember a few copper penny's that was disastrous for you.

Back