Don't Know Squat

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Of course, the Conservation of Energy follows, but I think it is less relevent. I'm not sure of the average temperature of a natural reef (I'm sure it's somewhere online), but it's pretty easy to keep our tanks at that temperature.

The thermal energy equation may look something like:

Pump heat add + Lighting heat add + heater heat add + biothermal processes(digestion) = radiation heat loss + evaporative cooling + chiller cooling + conduction heat loss(to glass/pvc/acrylic)

I have never met nor do I enjoy most lawyers but I really like this idea, nuch to the dismay of a couple folks who hav posted on this thread who see no value in digging for truth as a means to advance the science of this hobby. I for one have gone on the best guesses and instincts of many members of this board who are nothing if not helpfull. But the fact remains that for every 50 threads we read on this or any other site where someone is asking for help I would say that no more than one or two replies have many grounds other than anecdotal experience or best guesses. And that is a FACT!!
So I say, GAME ON!!!
Erik

If you enjoy flaming, there are other sites that deal more with that style. Here we try to be friendly if at all possible.

Nope, just sticking up for a good idea. I thought your post was a little off color and I called you on it. I too, enjoy this freindly forum. I promise to work with you to keep it that way. :)

Productive?...hmmm...maybe...

Fun...yes...:D

it's fun to debate, I love to do so myself...let's just keep in in perspective and have fun, ok?

In six years of reefkeeping, here are the few hard and fast rules I've figured out...and granted, while vauge, this is what I've seen in my tank...:lol:

#1 Corals need water;) ...and water with near NSW values seems to work best...too low or too high in a certain area and they don't seem to do as well...

#2 Corals need this water in a specific temperature range...78-82 deg. F seem to fit the bill best...

#3 Photosynthectic corals need light....the type of coral in question, placement in the tank, the amount, and type of light provided then become a matter of debate...but they need light...:D

#4 excess nutirents make a nasty looking tank...there are debates about the degree to which corals tolerate excess nutrients...but corals aside, if you have too much of that, than you get nasty algae and/or cyano problems...

OK...that's all the wisdom that is "absolute" I have after 6 years of reef keeping...:D ....lets have fun here folks, but KEEP IT NICE....or else....:D

MikeS

I say...Go with what works best for you:) What works for me, may not work for you no matter how identical our systems may be or what is sometimes considerd facts. Just my 2 cents:)

the carbonate hardness level of sea water is 7
mh bulb provide the closet colour specturm corals need
exposer to temp over 30C will result in coral bleaching

Last edited:
I dont know about that MH being the closest in color spectrum to what corals need I just got done reading from another thread that linked to a review of an LED lighting system that had a single peak of color spectrum even closer to what corals need than what a 20k MH bulb could produce. So I think after reading that I would say that this LED lighting gave the closest reproduction of the color spectrum of light that most corals need.

I think that we can also say that Live rock offers the best natural porous material to accomplish the filtration found in the ocean.
Erik

Well, looks like you all are at least having some fun. lol ;-)

I wish I could post more, but I can't seem to get my lazy behind to the library today. And I don't have internet access from home, so I'm actually posting this from my cell phone! Pretty cool, huh?

lol Dude, I had to give up internet access at home for my mental health. I love the forums but too much of this stuff will drive you nuts.

I'll bite & post this.
Not much other than what we find works & doesn't & that even changes daily. What this means is we have opinions & experiences but not lots of solid science in this hobby but we do if you look at the term science, could we consider what we do science? I have a good idea of what works & what I would not try again or ever want to try. That along with my take on other peoples experiences & opinions I use or trust & would incorporate that into what I do & have. I know one thing, it wasn't many years ago that very few could keep corals other than some of the simpler forgiving corals & fish for that matter. We advance our hobby through trial & error as any science, at the rate we're going these days with the help of the Internet & develop our reefing community we are getting better daily. Science, define science, we are a living and growing community of scientist at some basic level.

Back