DonW tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tank looks very nice, few more corals in there & she's the bomb!

That the plan for this week-end. I think I have few decent ones lined up. Also need to find something for the clown to host. He just digs a big hole in the sand now.

Don

i think you have to big of a pump for the return "3000 gph" for a med size tank. i would use that for a close-lope system and get a slower pump for the return. when you slow down your return is a good thing,
first you would not get much of micro air bobbles, and
second you would give enough time for the skimmer to skim as much as possible before the water return to the main tank. well this is my thought.

i think you have to big of a pump for the return "3000 gph" for a med size tank. i would use that for a close-lope system and get a slower pump for the return. when you slow down your return is a good thing,
first you would not get much of micro air bobbles, and
second you would give enough time for the skimmer to skim as much as possible before the water return to the main tank. well this is my thought.

That is old school and not accurate anymore. I have NO microbubble at all and skimmers have come a long way. Secondly the tank uses no other pumps and turns the display about 60 times per hour. With this its more like running a tank with no sump and a skimmer in the display. Laminer flow would be the only issue I would complain about but since there are outlets pointed at all four wall the flow is chaotic.

Don

well there is nothing wrong with old school, when old school still works as good............

Most of the water ends up over the baffle irregardless so the higher rate just gives the skimmer more chances at the same water. I think the majority of the reason people dont run high volumes through their sumps is micro bubble and baffels cant flow alot of water without splashing. Those issues are easy to fix by just not using baffles and not letting any air into the overflow drains.

Don

Don, I like the open look to the tank. I have definitely moved this way on my current tank. More open space for swimmers and coral grow out. And to those that are doubting the single pump or anything else that Don tries/succeeds with.....How do you think we make progress in this hobby? People like Don that experiment and share results with the rest of us. Thanks for being the R&D department for us Don!

Letterman interview of Richard Dean Anderson:

Letterman: So how does it feel to be the swiss army knife of humanity?
R.D.A: I dont know, ask DonW

Don, I like the open look to the tank. I have definitely moved this way on my current tank. More open space for swimmers and coral grow out. And to those that are doubting the single pump or anything else that Don tries/succeeds with.....How do you think we make progress in this hobby? People like Don that experiment and share results with the rest of us. Thanks for being the R&D department for us Don!

I do like the open look but it wont stay that way for long. After I pack it with sps it will be full. I really want alot going on in the tank this time around and will probably stock it 1 FPG, with mostly gobies.

Don

Wow! That will be something to see. Be sure to post pics as you add them.

It will take some time but its doable. I found a tank that impressed me so much I decided to sort of copy the idea. Check out this fish and invert list.
Fish:
2 pepermunt gobies
5 eviota bifasciata
2 trimma rubromaculatus
5 trimma cana
2 trimma striata
2 coryphopterus personatus
5 eviota pellucida
2 priolepsis nocturna
3 trimma benjameni
2 Discordipinna griessingeri
5 Trimma naudei
2 Elacatinus xanthiprora
1 serranocirrhitus latus
1 biochoeres cosmetes
1 pseudocheilinus hexetaenia
2 apogon leptacanthus
2 dorryrhamphus excisus( pair )
1 macropharyggodon negrosensis
2 stonogobiops yasha with alpheus randalli
1 stonogobiops nematodes with randalli
1 emblemaria species
1 escenius stigmatura

Inverts:
2 Lysmata wurdemanni,
5 periclimenes sp,
2 neopetrolisthes maculata,
2 mespilia globulus,
9 turbo snails
3 tridacna maxima
3 tridacna crocea
2 thor ambionensis

Nice! They do have some nice tanks over there on that forum. Haven't lurked there in a while. Thanks Don!

Nice! They do have some nice tanks over there on that forum. Haven't lurked there in a while. Thanks Don!

Its a nice goal to try and reach anyways. This weeks project is getting the pod population up to suppot the two scooter dragonets and getting enough red gracilaria supply growing to keep the one tang that I intend to keep.

Don

Tank looks great so far Don. That tank you posted is also here on RF. The guy is from somewhere in Europe, I wanna say the Netherlands. I'll see if I can find it.

Back