Doubling up on filter socks?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

Has anyone ever tried using two filter socks, one inside another, to better polish the water? I change my 7" 200 micron sock every three days, but can't quite seem to remove particles from the DT's water. Just wondering if this will be a total waste of time, givin that both socks are 200 micron.

Not sure what would happen, but I'm thinking it will probably slow down flow some. I use to use a H.O.T magnum canister filter with it's polishing cartridge occasionally. That really strips your water down like you can't imagine. I'd either use it when I wanted to vaccum my sump or after aqauscaping or messing with things when particles were everywhere in the water. Really works nice! Here is what the cartridge looks like. Well one next to a used one. :)

I don't think doubling-up is going to be much of an improvement... if the particle is >199 microns it's still going to get through both socks.

You'd be better off getting a 25 or 50 (or 100) micron filter bag to up your filter sock in. (sock becomes a pre-filter, bag becomes the final polish.)

Not sure what would happen, but I'm thinking it will probably slow down flow some. I use to use a H.O.T magnum canister filter with it's polishing cartridge occasionally. That really strips your water down like you can't imagine. I'd either use it when I wanted to vaccum my sump or after aqauscaping or messing with things when particles were everywhere in the water. Really works nice! Here is what the cartridge looks like. Well one next to a used one. :)

I have and use one. they work great and the polighing cartrage is reusable. It runs carbon most of the time, once and awhile I will polish. Them it can be used as a vacuum for your substrate or sump. Don't think two socks will do much other than witing money and slowing your flow.

You can get PO series bags all the way down to 5 micron at filterbag .com. Those will get everything, but plug up quickly so just use them one day a wee or something like that.

Don

Speaking of filter socks I have been trying to give away what I have left for the past couple years. I still have 5 25 micron socks but they are smaller 4x12's good for polishing or quick clean ups. If anyone wants these come and get them.

Don

Back