Dragonets. Should I, shouldnt I?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Roly

Go WhiteSox!
I think Dragonets are some of the coolest lookin fish there are. In fact, they are the reason I got started in this hobby. My question: I hear that they are difficult to have. That you cant have any other fish in the same tank (other than Seahorses). Is this true? I would like to buy one sometime very soon but before I do, I would like to hear what others have experienced with these awsome lookin fish.

Main thing to consider is tank size, maturity, and pod population. You can have other fish in the tank with it just not fish that will eat all the pods. I have tangs, cardinals, clowns etc with mine. If you have the 3 things listed above taken care of the fish are actually easy.

Well my tank is 110 gal. Its been running for only a little over a month though. All my levels are fine. Ive done water changes and everything seems ok. Ive tested my water and so did the owner of the store where I bought my tank. I have 5 damsels and some live rock (about 10 lbs or so). Im trading in my damsels for credit toward other fish. Im def. not a damsel fan. As far as pods, I know what they are although Ive never seen them. What do they look like? How do I go about getting them? AND when do I know if I have enough for a Dragonet? Thanks Brenden.

To keep one you need to up your LR to 100-175 lbs. The more the better. If you get some good LR there should be some pods on it. You can also buy pods from oceanpods.com You need the LR as a place for them to live, reproduce etc. They look like white fleas. The best wat to see them is wait a hour or two after lights are out and go on patrol with a flashlight. You should see them crawling on the glass and rocks. Once your tank has some age and pods your tank should be able to meet a mandarins requirements. A fuge is also a great place for them to breed.

I took a look at oceanpods.com. That answered many of my questions. Thanks. Do I have to keep adding pods to my tank or is this a one time thing? I plan on getting much more live rock too!

If your tank is mature, stable and has enough live rock, the pods should reproduce. It should be a one time thing. Even if you add pods you should give your tank some time to mature before adding the mandarin.

My friend got a mandarin as flatworm control, but he hasn't even a dent made in the population of flatworms. Was the guy who sold it to him lying? So far the only thing that has disappeared has been the pods. He got a bottle from oceanpods today, so he's not letting it starve or anything. He just wants to know if it will eat the flatworms.

Well that's a bummer.

What about those headshield snails (slugs?)?
They resemble nudibranch's. I've heard they eat flatworms, and the only problem is that eventually the flatworm pop dwindles down to the point where it can't find them anymore and starves.

See, my friend's whole thing is he doesn't want to introduce any sort of chemical to his system. He's rather go for a natural means of control.

Last edited:
I have a 160lbs of LR dedicated to my Green Mandarin. I also kept him with a grouper and he never got eaten (i guess its due to a slime coating on there skin that keeps predators away).Anyways i have had one for almost two years and he is doing good but pods are a must. I would get about 50lbs more LR to start and let everything sit and grow for a month or two and you should be okay.

Back