Drain placement in sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nemodad

Hi Guys,

Just in my final phases of setting up my new tank, plumbing is done and leak tests passed.
I was just wondering though...I have my drain tubes all the way to the bottom of the sump and i find it a bit noisy.

Is it best half way down, or exiting at the surface with a 90 or 45 degree fitting?

I have this at the end of my drain (see picture)

https://picasaweb.google.com/104216026959215989048/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCNrXuuGSn-vsvwE

Pretty much drain line goes horizontal into a 'Tee' piece. From the bottom, straight pipe goes down to about 2" below the water surface. From the top, there is a piece of straight pipe that is capped, maybe 4-6" long.

This leaves an air pocket that can expand and contract to give a bit of give to the water (stops thumping.) Kitchen sinks are also done this way. If you shut off your sink and you feel a kick and hear a thump, it is not done this way, but if it shuts off silently, it has something like this in the wall behind your sink.

Not sure what the plumbing term is for it though. May not even be necessary, but that is how I did it when I plumbed my system. I also run my drain at a full siphon with a backup drain incase it clogs. that also keeps the drain very quiet (as there is no air in my drain line.) Very risky to do that though without a second 'backup' drain.

I always use a tee fitting on my sumps where the water enters the sump. Always solved my gurgling issues. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't remember, but you might want to drill a small hole in the cap at the top of the Tee fitting to allow the air to escape (without it being forced underwater where it bubbles back up.)

I would get varification on this though from someone else that that is correct. I can also check my drain when I get home from work.

Here's a photo of one of my old sumps. With the water dispersed to the sides rather than out a stright pipe, it won't collide with the in-coming water following behind it which solved my issue. You can see the Tee off to the right side of the sump.:)

All depends on what/where your noise source is coming from, but for me it was water colliding with basically itself so I had to disperse it out to the sides and it solved my problem. This actually was the case on two separate sumps for me. For less than $1 it doesn't hurt to try. Doesn't even have to be glued there either. Just slip one on and give it a shot. :)

I have the ends of my drain pipes attached with unions (I used lots of unions in my plumbing...) That way, I can take it off and change it up if needed. If you think you may need to try multiple idea, or want the ability to easily change/adjust the drain output, you might want to throw a union on it for easy removal

So, i bought some "T"'s and found that they make the least noise when positioned this way.
Shouldn't be a problem right?

Laval-20111101-00594.jpg

Attachments

• Laval-20111101-00594.jpg
    Laval-20111101-00594.jpg
    34.5 KB
Nope! Whatever works. All it is doing is directing flow into the sump so if you have a skimmer in that chamber, maybe point the output at the skimmer's pump so that it can catch all of the nasty water. :)

Cool, Thanks alot.. I've been working on this project since June on my free time..Everything from building the stand to Drilling the tank and making my own sump.. All i want to do is finally mix some water and salt!!! lol

Good luck! Show us some pics once you get some water in it! I also built my own stands, plumbing etc. this time around. A great way to do it (although sanding and staining is a bit of a pain in the butt...)

rob

Man that's the only disaapointment in this whole project, the stand was perfect, until i used Nail hole filler.....Never again... It is not stainable and if you don't sand it completely off before you stain....you get blotches.. Oh well live and learn

Back