Drilling 75 for closed loop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Willy

Tanklayout.jpg

Ok 1st of all NO laughing at my great drawing :D

This is a 75 glass tank, that I want to drill for a closed loop. The 3 holes along the top are 1 5/8" for a 3/4" bulkhead (returns) the 2 larger holes are 2 5/8" for a 1.5" bulkhead (pump intake). The holes on each side are 4.25" from the top and 4.25" from the side. The center hole is 4.25" from the top. the two larger holes are approx 10.25" from the nearest side, 6" from the top and 6" from the bottom with approx 3" in between the two holes. Do you think it would be safe, structurally, drilling the back of my tank like this?...Suggestions? Comments?

I haven't had much experience drilling glass tanks before, but if it was acrylic I would say go for it.

Chris

That's a better drawing than I'd be able to do :D.

Are you going to do the drilling or are you having it done? No idea on drilling glass.....I'd say it's too many holes for drilling a glass 75, but I really have no idea. Here's a bump for ya...

I think it is too many holes as well. I wouldn't drill more then 2. I have heard of people drilling that many holes in thier glass tanks and it being ok, but I have also seen the results of a large tank w/ around that many holes drilled in it that let go after about a year and that wasn't pretty.

I'd only drill two in a tank that size. The CL can just be redesign to return from the bottom where it can be supported.

Don

hilexx116 said:
did you use paint for that?? It takes skills using paint for this stuff

yeah thats about as good as I get

Hmmm well i really need to get this clsoed loop figured out. I do NOT want to do acrylic blinds as that will take up too much space inside the tank. Looks like I need to put my thinking cap on to figure this out or Icecap needs to get that vortech pump out by the end of February:D

NaH2O said:
That's a better drawing than I'd be able to do :D.

Are you going to do the drilling or are you having it done? No idea on drilling glass.....I'd say it's too many holes for drilling a glass 75, but I really have no idea. Here's a bump for ya...

I'll do the drilling :D:D

Scott - I think you could probably drill it for the intakes, then come over the top for the three outputs. Where you have them positioned is not that far down in the tank, and I don't think it will look that bad having a little PVC in the tank. You can add the necessary plumbing pieces to get loc-line on the ends of the outputs, then direct the flow where it needs to go.

I decided to drill the two intakes, one on either side of the tank centered. And drill only one return centered. The remaining 4 returns will come over the top. I have the drill bits on the way. Been trying to get a grip on how Im gonna plumb this thing. I somewhat have it figured out. I'll start a new thread when i get rolling along with it here in the next couple of weeks..

Thanks for all the input

you could silicone a piece of clear or color of your choice acryllic to the back and then drill as many holes as you want because the acryllic would more than double the strength and relieve stress fractures that can rise in glass long after drilling. if you can find acryllic in the color you want your back this would "kill 2 birds".

I was thinking about the same thing here is a pic of what I was planning but after reading I am probably going to change my mind once again. lol Mine is a 40g breeder so thinner glass as well. Guess I will be going over the top. Constructive criticism welcome here as well. Sump return will be going over the back.

plumbingplan2.jpg

Hmmm....like I said earlier, I really don't know too much about drilling glass, but I would be concerned with having the holes that close together and close to the edge. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but it seems like if you spread their positions across the glass, then the chances of having problems in the future or breaking while drilling would be less?

Yeah I just relized that the drain for the CL is too close in the pic there but I was planning on the edge of the bulkhead to be about 3" from the edge and about 6" below the surface of the water. The two up top are for the calfo so I think those are about right. Thanks for the comments.

Just for some info, i read somewhere that if you sand the holes after you drill them ur chances of cracking are reduced. Im gonna use some wet/dry sand paper on mine and see how it turns out. DRILLING GLASS

btw still waiting on my bits...im getting impatient I want this tank going!!!! lol

Back