Drilling Glass Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krish75 said:
Thanks and no problem:) My tank is getting there...I have another pump coming in this week to beef up my closed loop some more so keep an eye out for the pics hopefully before the weekend. With that extra pump added, it should give me around 4,000 gph of flow (minus whatever headloss I will have) in about a 38 gal tank;)

Wow that sounds like a monster flow! Now that you mentioned it. Where did you get your pump? I'm looking for one for my 60 gallon tank. Also what size do you think I should get?

I got my pump from Premium Aquatics...A sponsor here where I buy all of my stuff. Great customer service! As for what size pump you should get will all depend on how muich flow you want running through your sump because whatever is pumped into the tank from the sump, will be returned back into the sump (through the overflow) at that same rate. I don't personally like more than 800 gph of flow through any of my sumps, but some people like more. If your return pump is not going to be your primary source of flow, then IMO, I wouldn't go much more than that, but that is just a personal opinion. You will also have to make sure your overflow will be able to support whatever pump you plan to use...:)

Scooterman said:
Ahh nice, yea I'd go according to the BH's you decide to use, they take up lots of room, so let that help as a guide as to how big it will be. Two 1" BH's will require 1 7/8" hole plus you need room to tighten the big nut, I'd say go at least 4" deep & 10" wide at least. If you drill glass, I just had my 58G sump drilled for a 1" BH, he used a 2" bit I use the heavy duty BH so if your using the regular BH then I think it is 1 5/8" hole minimal. I took it to a glass shop & it cost me $10 for one hole & they polished it also, way cheaper than buying a bit, he had a special drill press with suction cups for glass to do it, way better than me trying to do the same. I also had them cut some plexi glass for the baffles I made, they were around $9 each for 12" x 17" x 1/4", which was reasonable. Oh yea as Krish said if the bottom is tempered then you need other ideas!

Can you attach plexi glass baffles to a glass tank? if so, what do you use for it?

I use the GE silicon I not the silicon II because the II contains inhibitors for mold & mildew.

You guys are great!!! Thank you so much for all the information. This project is really starting to get shape and I'm getting all excited!

You guys are great!!! Thank you so much for all the information. This project is really starting to get shape and I'm getting all excited!

Sounds great Carlos! Make sure you get some photos!:)

Back