Drilling?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rjarnold

Frogfish Aficionado
I've been convinced to go get my glass 45G tank drilled rather than dealing with an over-the-back suction drainage. I've read that two drains are better than one...so, is it easy enough to get two holes drilled and connected to one sump? How big do the holes need to be for a 45G tank (sump is 25G)? Piping, hose, etc I know you can get at the hardware store - what about the bulkheads? Admittedly, I'm not even sure exactly what comprises the 'bulkheads' but I know they're obviously needed ;) Definitely going to be a learning experience for me...

So you have an idea of what a "blukhead" looks like:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_plumbing_parts_fittings_bulkheads_strainers.asp

Since you are wanting to go 2 drain lines... I recommend using 1" bulkheads... which depending on which type you end up getting, will require 1 3/4" - 1 7/8" hole to fit the actual bulkhead into.

Check your LFS's... quite often they do have a few available so you don't have to do the mail-order thang.

As for how to put them together... playing with PVC piping is like "Linking Logs" for adults! *grinz* Not hard at all, and playing with all the plastic parts can be fun! :D hehehe

Good luck, and keep us informed how things progress for you!

I would think that one drain and one return for a 45g tank would be plenty.

Bulkhead fittings http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1 1" pipeing will be more then enough.

Ummm, the return is just over the tank right? So I'd only be drilling a single hole for the drain? Placement in the corner or center? Eesh, I'm supposed to go get this drilled soon here and I'm a bit nervous. So is the hole supposed to have a 1" radius for a 1" bulkhead?

So you have an idea of what a "blukhead" looks like:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_plumbing_parts_fittings_bulkheads_strainers.asp

Since you are wanting to go 2 drain lines... I recommend using 1" bulkheads... which depending on which type you end up getting, will require 1 3/4" - 1 7/8" hole to fit the actual bulkhead into.

Check your LFS's... quite often they do have a few available so you don't have to do the mail-order thang.

As for how to put them together... playing with PVC piping is like "Linking Logs" for adults! *grinz* Not hard at all, and playing with all the plastic parts can be fun! :D hehehe

Good luck, and keep us informed how things progress for you!

Haha, well this whole plumbing thing really confuses me - my brother's a plumber with no further schooling and I'm a master's degree student, says a lot huh? Too bad my brother's in Wisconsin and I'm at the UW here in Seattle. And btw, I'm a biologist so...yeah, plumbing is not my thing ;)

Ummm, the return is just over the tank right? So I'd only be drilling a single hole for the drain? Placement in the corner or center? Eesh, I'm supposed to go get this drilled soon here and I'm a bit nervous. So is the hole supposed to have a 1" radius for a 1" bulkhead?

The return can go over the top or some people put it through a bulkhead also.

if you use 1" pipe for the drain and return the bulkhead hole will most likely be 1 3/4"

Well, a) I'm missing the 'real man' parts, and b) I try to do it the lady's way - ie, the right way the first time hehe.

That gave me the biggest laugh that I have ever had from this forum!
Shows what can happen when we assume.
Kudos Rachel

lol way to be smooth with the ladys....lol jkjk but that was pretty funny
but yeah so I kinda did the same thing but i had no idea what I was doing so I took a 1 inch bulkhead and drilled a 1 inch hole (i have an acrlic tank) so then i took some clear bendy tube and attacked it to the bulk head and had that lead into my sump, then i jsut took a large pump and got some more bendy tube and attached it to the return pump and fed it up over the top of the tank. but I had basicly no idea what i was doing (i used a frikin pvc pipe for my overflow..lol) but anyways it turned out fine but its really noisy

Well I didn't end up drilling it because the sump I got ended up being too big to fit under the cabinet :p In all honesty, I thought it *might* be too big, but rather than measure it I decided that if it was, indeed, too big, I'd use the sump on my 75G. So now I need to figure out what I want to do for the 45G and get an overflow box for the 75G since that one already has fish in it.

Well, a) I'm missing the 'real man' parts, and b) I try to do it the lady's way - ie, the right way the first time ;) ;) hehe.

-Rachel

Just like a women not to know how to use a tape measure :D

just kidding, I would try to stay away from a u-tube type. I am getting ready to take my tank down so I can drill some holes in mine :mad: tired of water on the floor.

Just like a women not to know how to use a tape measure :D

just kidding, I would try to stay away from a u-tube type. I am getting ready to take my tank down so I can drill some holes in mine :mad: tired of water on the floor.

Mmm, well for now I think I'll use an overflow box since it's in the garage (who cares about water in there?). But when I take it down to move in September I'll get it drilled then! :)

I thought about moving my tank to the garage also how do you like it out there and did you have it setup in the winter

I thought about moving my tank to the garage also how do you like it out there and did you have it setup in the winter

Well as I look at the water on the floor and all the mess of having to do tons of water changes with this live rock, I'm very happy it's out there. However, at the same time, I don't get to see it as often as I'd like and can't listen for the characteristic "clicking" of the mantis shrimp that I know is lurking in there... I just set it up so it hasn't gone through a winter out there.

So in short, I think it's great for now, but once it's been cycled in it needs to come inside as otherwise it doesn't serve the purpose of being there to look at and gaze on with amazement ;)

I have a slightly larger tank... but it basically sits in my garage also. I did custom build a stand... so I could have the face of my tank in my family room, framed like a picture... and the rest is out in the garage. Best of both worlds... I get to see into the tank from the main part of my house, and any water mess is on the floor in the garage. Then again, since I've set up my tank like this, I have been able to plumb into my deep sink in the garage, so water changes are just turning a valve... shutting it again, pluggin in a pump, and unplugging it. Woooohooo!!! No more carrying water!!! *grinz*

Back