Dry Flake Food For Sale

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LydieCakes

Hi,
Im trying to find a good place that sells a bulk type of flake food that is good for pretty much all types of fish. I got meaty flake eaters and algae flake eaters in my tank. I am looking for a place where I can find a good all around combo food for them in a decent size amount.

I do have one place I am thinking of buying from but not sure if it is good for both meaty and algae eaters... It sounds more ... algae friendly then meaty friendly.

Here is the product description...
Excellent for all species of marine fish, this high-quality flake feed is high in iodine and seaweed, making it ideal for marine angelfish and tangs. Unsurpassed in formulation, ingredients include fish meal, Artemia, krill meal, scallop powder, Spirulina, kelp powder, beta-glucan, seaweed, multivitamins and minerals.

Any help in this matter would be really great. The stores around here are very limited on marine fish stuff in general so buying online and in bulk is better for me. Im open to tips, sites, ideas and help about knowing Im picking the right foods.

Thanks a million. Sorry if my post is long and confusing.

Usually, you won't find a "one size fits all" flake food that's good for carnivores and herbivores. If it's good for carnivores, it usually won't be healthy for herbivores. For herbivores, normally the foods will be high in Spirulina. Unfortunately, there are herbivores that if not fed properly will develop HTTL, which you definitely don't want. Some tangs are very prone to this.

I'd suggest buying more than one type of food. Flake, Freeze Dried and Frozen. A good, varied diet is most healthy for the fish we keep. They need the variety.

Some brand to look for are Ocean Nutrition, Omega, New Life Spectrum and O.S.I. These aren't the only good brands, but are some. Formula 1 for carnivores and Formula 2 for Herbivores are great foods, in both flake and frozen.

Last edited:
I think that is what I did last time. They were the Ocean Nutrition purple container and the green container. I just mixed them into one contanter and fed them to the fish. I understand that I will probably have to buy more then one kind and just mix them like I did before. Im just trying to find good amounts of it... At a good price... and being that there really are no pet stores around here... a place I can buy it online.

I do feed them other stuff as well. They all eat brime as well because of the goby I got. They dont like dry blood worms. They will eat some frozen blood worms from time to time but not on the normal.

Btw, what is HTTL? Sorry if thats a silly question.

**Edit**
I also know some places that sell corals and livestock make there own blend for fish... if someone is a business that sells fish and does this, I might be interested. I guess I should have explained that better before. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Whooops. HLLE. Head and Lateral line Erosion. Here's a good link about it.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/sp/index.php

Also keep in mind that flake food loses it's nutritional value fairly quickly so buying in large quantities might not be your best bet. It does save money, but not the best for the health of your fish.

Another thing to think about...Brine Shrimp (Artemia) is very low in nutritional value as well. Mysis Shrimp and Krill will be a much better choice.

As for making your own foods, there's all kinds of recipes on RF that you can use to make your own "Mash."

Oh and Welcome to RF!!

OH! You know, I have seen that at pet stores before.

I didnt know about the fish food losing nutritional value over time. Hey... Im still new with all this stuff so you gotta kinda bare with me here...

This lady that has a pet store and sells corals online just got back to me about buying some of the blend they use to feed there fish. (Shes not local but she does ship to me) I will get a list of ingredients that are in it before buying any to get you guys feedback on it as well.

The brine is really for the goby more then anyone else. I alway worry he's not eating enough but seems to eat it fine so thats why I put it in there. I would be heartbroken to lose him. Hes probably one of my very favorites. I will look into those types of shrimps and see if I can't find those for future feeding.

Thanks a million for the tips...
Oh! And the warm welcome.

Not bad for fish, bad for the tank, the po4 will fuel algae and is not good for corals. There are good frozen foods that are for herbivoirs. Thats what i'd suggest.

Well let me change up my question then. What foods do you recommend I feed my fish? Or that you feed your fish?

I have... uh...

Yellow Tang, scissor tail goby, diamond goby, mandarin goby, 2 maroon clowns, blk clown, Coral beauty, a 4 stripe damsel, 2 chroms, blue velvet damsel, lawnmower blenny and some brown damsel.

I think thats everything fish wise. For Corals I have a small piece of blasto, 2 shrooms I have no idea what they are, 3 big shrooms I have no idea what those are, another taller shroom that again I have no idea what it is, a yellow sponge and some star polyps.

Let me be straight forward in saying... Yup, Im new... and Yup, Im pretty clueless on what I'm doing, and lastly... Im prolly the WORSE fish or reef keeper around... Im kinda learning threw trail and error and with limited help and knowledge. Again, Im alway greatful for help.

I just buy a variety of frozen foods. Formula 1,2,prime reef, mysis, cyclops and rods. I use spectum small pellets also but thats more or less just to keep me amused. The Rods and the cyclops will spur algae growth so you have to be frugal.

Don

Im googling all that stuff... Just so you know...

*glares* Stop laughing at me! Im kidding but really I am googling that stuff.

As I am googling it, I am guessing you feed all the frozen stuff in the listed above. I see frozen and flakes popping up for most everything you listed.

Last edited:
Im googling all that stuff... Just so you know...

*glares* Stop laughing at me! Im kidding but really I am googling that stuff.

You should be able to find all of it at a local fish store, not sure what chain stores you have in AL but Petco has all of them except rods. As long as you dont live in someplace Silver hill, AL you will not have a problem finding food. :)

Don

I do have a petco near me. Funny you should bring them up. I am a bit scared of there frozen foods. They have a problem with ppl "unplugging the freezer" on accident or customers doing it.. I dont' know but I have gone in there a number of times and gone to get some frozen foods only to find the package all soft when you pick it up.

Do you think buying stuff that has been thawed and then re-frozen would still be okay to use?

I do have a petco near me. Funny you should bring them up. I am a bit scared of there frozen foods. They have a problem with ppl "unplugging the freezer" on accident or customers doing it.. I dont' know but I have gone in there a number of times and gone to get some frozen foods only to find the package all soft when you pick it up.

Do you think buying stuff that has been thawed and then re-frozen would still be okay to use?

That I would be concerned with, dont have a clue what might go wrong . Maybe find another store.

Don

This Rod's stuff says its for tanks without or with only a few corals. I do hope to add more corals sooner then later.

I am going to look into the formula ones and those other types of shrimp that are better for my fish. Do you think my goby will eat them just the same? I was told I was really fortunate that he even ate brine, let alone something else.

**Edit - When looking for a frozen food, what ingredients should I be looking for? What should I be staying away from? Now that I am looking at frozen stuff... everyone claims to have super good stuff.. but what is good? What isn't good? Ack! *dizzy with confusion!*

Last edited:
This Rod's stuff says its for tanks without or with only a few corals. I do hope to add more corals sooner then later.

I am going to look into the formula ones and those other types of shrimp that are better for my fish. Do you think my goby will eat them just the same? I was told I was really fortunate that he even ate brine, let alone something else.

Brine is pretty much worthless. All you can do is give the others a shot. Rods is more particulate assumed to feed corals but not necessary.

Don

Back