dsb and alternative materials

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bisck

it is important in dsb a aragonite ones? and if it were calcium carbonate fromquarry? here in Italy the aragonite ones has of the prices forbidden to you (22kg to 55).
my question is if i find a calcium carbonate up to 98% without iron or heavy metals but with potassium (K), what could in the long run cause in a tank?

sorry for my english but i'm italian and i never study that....

Argonite is calcium carbonate Bisck. So as long as it is that you should be fine, just magnesium carbonate.

Mike

thanx for all
but wich test i need to do to verificate the quality of this sand? other of No2, No3, PO4, KH, Ca, Mg, Cu, F

bisck - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

thanx again!! I will follow again but for me it's so difficoult understand avrithing wat do you write

bisck said:
thanx for all
but wich test i need to do to verificate the quality of this sand? other of No2, No3, PO4, KH, Ca, Mg, Cu, F
Regular white table vinegar. Place a few teaspoons of the vinegar over a small bit of sand in a bowl. If it fizz's, it aragonite, no fizz it's silica.

You will also need an ammonia kit (NH3-) for general use. The tests you've indicated above will not tell you much if anything about the purity of the sand until it's been in use in the tank and subjected to "dissolutioin". They are still good to have for checking the water quality/chemistry of tank water, artificial salt mix's and source water.

Cheers
Steve

well today i try that sand in my little nanoreef i hope don't makes inpurity becouse it's a sony corals nano when i will have a photo i show you my beautiful little tank

If it is limestone, it may have "impurities" like excess Mg that can potentially cause chemical imbalances in the tank...watch your Ca/alk/Mg levels if you use it...

MikeS

bisck said:
thanx for all

thanx again!! I will follow again but for me it's so difficoult understand avrithing wat do you write

prago , prego - welcome (done know if i spelled it right) :)

Back