Ecotech MP40 vs Bowing Acrylic Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Will my decade old, bowing 180G acrylic tank handle a MP40 without bursting?

• Total voters

07FocusST

Just looking to see what everyones opinion is on me getting an MP40 for my tank. Its a 6'x2'x2' 180G TruVu Acrylic Tank. It is estimated to be about 7-9 yers old. built with 3/8" Acrylic. I see no crazing or any sign of the seams letting go. The front and rear panels do buldge outwards roughly 1/2" to 1" at the lower half of the panel. This, however, makes the top panel bow inwards about 1/4" to 1/2". I do have a very heavy Red Oak canopy sitting on top of the tank which probably not helping. The tank has been up since January of this year and has been fully filled to its capacity without any problems.

When I called TruVu back in January they told me that the tank is fine and will hold without any problems. They also said that the bowing is just the acrylic taking shape from being filled with water for 7-9 years non-stop. I think I also read that acrylic absorbs water over a long period of time which helps it take a new shape.

Anyway just trying to get opinions. From what I understand TruVu has only bumped their 180G that they build today from 3/8" Acrylic to 1/2" acrylic unless custom ordered different.

You'll probably be fine but why they would ever make a 180 gallon tank out of 3/8 I have no idea. I'm nervous just thinking about it but that's probably just paranoia. I had a 40 SeaClear that was 3/8 and you could see a fair amount of deflection on that. If you do replace it, there is only one place to go if you go acryllic and that's CFI. I have an 80 gallon Jason built for me and there is ZERO bowing/deflection anywhere on it. His tanks are just rock solid.

I voted yes but had to add a a stipulation.
1st off acrylic can handle these wave devices better than glass tanks, although 3/8" for that size tank seems a bit thin IMO. lol
You said your stand is very solid, that is where my main worry would be, but it looks like that isn't a problem for you.

And I would say, unless a person has an extremely well/over built tank, they shouldn't be using the rhythmic wave functions anyways. I'm sure you'll find most people have theres set on reef crest mode, witch is more of a surge mode than a wave. it's the waving back and forth that kills tanks and stands.
Just stay away from the synced wave functions and you shouldn't have any issues.

I don't know much about the MP40, but I know that bowing is an obvious sign of a tank that needs replaced, so I would probably run the other way!

I have two 40s opposite either other on a 5ft glass tank. I voted yes, I don't think the MP40 will be the 'straw that breaks the camel's back'. But I would not run the Vortech such that you get a resonant wave form. They are cool to see but definitely harder on the tank. All that being said, it sounds like the acrylic has really deformed over time and I too think a new (another plug for CFI from Jason) tank is a great idea.

I have 1000% confidence that my stand will hold just fine. I do have a Dart on a CL system providing motion in the tank but it is not alternating. I figure that 1 MP40 along with the 6 outlets on my CL system will be good enough to keep the bad stuff afloat.

I have 1000% confidence that my stand will hold just fine. I do have a Dart on a CL system providing motion in the tank but it is not alternating. I figure that 1 MP40 along with the 6 outlets on my CL system will be good enough to keep the bad stuff afloat.

Not doubt on that!

I don't know that I would add further stress to the tank either. As someone who currently has a leaking tank I can tell you that its a horrible horrible PITA as well as really hard on the inhabitants. Maybe you could find a used tank for much much less?

I agree... maybe i need to breakdown the 180G and transfer everything over to the trusty-handy dandy 100G..... Maybe I should start another poll to see what i should do. It just has to make it another 4 months till i move

4 months is just the right amount of time to plan your new tank... get it built and move it in to your new place. Just make sure it fits!

wont have $$$$$ for a while. I think that I will have to stick with the 100G for now. Just need 2 External Overflows and new plumbing for the 100G. Got everything else

Your tank frightens me Derrick!! I had a 38 gal made out of 1/2 inch! :eek:

Not to worry Krish... I have spent all night and day planning on how to transfer everything over to my 100G. Although it isn't RR I can purchase an Eshopps PF-1000 or PF-1800 overflow box and continue to use my Gen-X PCX-40 return pump and sump. I will transfer the lights over along with the skimmer. The CL system will be deleted and my brand new Reeflo Dart pump will go up for sale along with the CL piping. The Stand and Canopy will be up for grabs but will be consider chopping the 180 tank into 2x 3'x2'x1' frag tanks.

The 100g will have to stay in the garage till i leave.

Back