Electrocuting Mojanos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am now fairly sure it is the gas generated from one of the electrodes that destroys the mojano and not the current.
Here is a close up of the electrode emitting the gas. (I am not sure if it is oxygen, hydrogen or chlorine)
The anemone turns white and totally disentigrates and becomes part of the bubbles.
IMG_0367.jpg

See the big black box to the left of the picture. Thats the whole thing. It's a homemade DC low voltage power supply and way overkill for this job
IMG_0323.jpg

The electrode is emitting chlorine, big time. I found a cheap way to make Clorox.
I tried it for a minute in a small volume of water and smelled it, it almost burned my nose off. This is the substance that is oxidizing the mojanos.
I replaced one of the stainless stel electrides with carbon because the stainless steel on the side that does not produce the gas corrodes very fast. The carbon seems to last forever.

Well the thing seems to be perfected. I used graphite from a carpenters pencil for the terminal that corrodes quickly. The chlorine emmitting electrode is still stainless steel but it is thinner now. The entire thing is small and compact with a push buton momentary contact. There is a light in it to tell you it is working. Of course the light don't work so it is back to Radio Shack for a different light but that is very easy to replace. I just don't know how long it will work.
The transformer is 18 volts which is rectified to give out DC.
I used a stainless steel spring to connect the graphite to a wire, it coils tightly around the graphite to give a good connection. The spring and wire are encased in clear
"Goop" glue. I use Goop on another thing that I patented for the hobby that stays underwater so I know that will be no problem.
After I do a few more tests, and if they are successful, I will mail it to someone to test.

IMG_0370.jpg

The electrode is emitting chlorine, big time. I found a cheap way to make Clorox.
This seems like a very cool and fun toy, but if the chlorine is what is killing the majanos couldn't you just inject a small amount of clorox using a small bore needle and get the same effect with no electricity in the tank at all??

No, I have done that many times. Chlorine does not work fast enough and the anemone expells it as soon as you inject it. This gas oxidizes the tissue as soon as it touches it.

I like the transformer Paul. I have a box full of those from old cell phones, cameras, computer accessories and more ranging from 7-18 volts

Would you care to share the voltage and amperage on that particular unit?

I have a box full of those from old cell phones, cameras, computer accessories and more ranging from 7-18 volts
Thats where I got it from, the box of them that I have.

A friend of mine owns a LFS near my home and his tanks are loaded with mojanos. Very large ones, so I am going to try to go there today and test the device on larger mojanos. I may need to bring a larger transformer to generate more power for these suckers
but it will be a good test.

A friend of mine ownd a large LFS and his reefs are loaded with mojanos so I made the mistake of telling him that I built this mojano zapper. He had to try it so I brought it there today and he loves the thing. He destroyed about 75 mojanos in about 15 minutes. And in his tank they are huge. There is no chance of them returning because there is nothing left of them.
I had a hard time getting the thing back from him but he gave me a nice rock with yellow polyps on it so I told him I would build a larger one for his deeper tanks.
I built a different model and after it is completed I will try it again on his tanks.
This is in the store's tank, those spots you see to the left are the bubbles along with burnt up pieces of mojano

Wow. I would have never guess you could do something like that. I will have to try it on my aptasia farm I have in my tank

I haven't been back to this thread for awhile it looks like you are making some great progress i love your new unit! Definitely a project i'd like to take on soon.

it looks like you are making some great progress i love your new unit!

Now I have an even newer one but it is not completed so I only tested it in the semi completed stages. This newer one allowes the replacement of the graphite electrode because it will degrade in time.

I think tungston would also corrode. The graphite seems to last forever as I have not noticed any degradregation

Back