Electrocuting Mojanos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am having wierd occurances when I zap mojanos. It seems that I have more amphipods than I thought because whenever I zap a mojano, I see one or two amphipods running out of the holes near the mojano. But the wierd thing is that these stomatella, or shelless snails, seem to be atttracted to the zapper.
I didn't even know I had so many of these stomatella's but almost everywhere I zap, one of these "snails" comes practically running towards the commotion. They stop just before the mojano that is getting zapper and try to touch it with their antenna.
They don't like the feel of it as they pull back their antenna but they stay right there next to it and "hang out".
This happens about half the times I zap something.
I can't explain it. I am not sure if they are attracted to the electricity of the hydrogen gas.
Also those banded tentacles that you see sticking out of the holes which are mostly brittle stars, reach out to grab pieces of destroyed mojano. It seems that they only like to eat them after they are cooked as they never touch the living mojanos.

You can see a stomatella just under the chromis, he came out to "watch me zap a mojano right where he is
IMG_0726.jpg

I am still trying to figure this out and would like to do a test by leeping a small amount of electricity going in one area and see if I can get a bunch of Stomatella to come running.
I can't tell if they are curious of if they smell burning mojano. I also wonder if this can be used to trap certain creatures.
I love to experiment.

Hey, everybody!

This is Paul B's wife, best friend, dive buddy and very rarely his critic. However, this time I must boast about this "Zapper" thing. I can't believe my husband, Paul B, finally got me hooked into this hobby in some small way and it was fun too--much to my surprise. I loved zapping with his new invention. Who would have thought? Our tank is looking better than ever now that I am involved with the clean up. You see fish is Paul's passion and mine seems always to be cleaning up something or another. Anyway, I am really proud of this guy and his latest invention. By the time I was finished, there was not even a hint of a mojano or tentacle in site of our 40-year old reef.
Dale005.jpg

Last edited:
WOW nice to see you !! I'm stoked you found a way to join forces in one hobby..
So great when both can enjoy something together.

have you used this on mushrooms? I have a ton of discoma shrooms growing all over the place!

I've used my model on mushrooms and a few other softies that were out of control. Since the mushrooms have a larger foot than most aptasias and mojanos they require a couple few burnings to fully eradicate each polyp. But you can get rid of them with this unit. :)

The other day my buddy Javier (bodycology21) and I were at DBM_reef's place checking out his aptasia zapper. The very next day Javier and I were working on our own version and here it is!

We used a doorbell transformer like trido. We put it into a sealed plastic case and attached a belt clip. The probes extend beyond the PVC pipe and are supported by a wire coat hanger and everything is bundled together with heat shrink. Extending the probes beyond the PVC allows us to bend the tip to reach aptasia in hard to reach areas.

The PVC is completely sealed so that our hands stay dry, and have no contact with any type of metal. We put a momentary switch in the opposite end that is normally open, so the zapper can be safely maneuvered and controlled. It seems to work pretty well.

Here are some pics:

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

I made one of these like 6 or 7 years ago. Everyone said it was a terrible idea and would poisen the tank. Should have got a patent.:lol:

What you have there is a 2ft long spark plug. Two wires stuck to a non resistor spark plug connected to a switch does a decent job but you get your arm wet.:)

If ya want to go real fancy use a 1/4" carbon fiber tube. Run a 3/16 stainless rod covered in heat shrink down the center right to the end. Put rubber orings or grommets on the stainles rod to keep it centered and affixed in the carbon fiber tube. Use a spring from a clicker pen around the rod to attatch the + wire. Epoxy the - to the carbon fiber tube. Essentially you made a 2ft long spark plug. Use DC voltage and fire it up. The stainless rod will arc to the carbon fiber tube.

Don

Hmm mojanis are broad casters, as a defence when they are attacked they broad cast their seed everywhere (kinda like alot of algeas) and thus it becomes one down and two more up. It will be neat to see how this turns out in a couple of weeks when they would naturally coming back. Perhaps the shock stops that process??

Good job!!

Mojo

I'll add that if you really want to get some juice get your self a 1/60 sec timer set to pulse on every 1/60 second and conect it to a GM HEI ignition coil. Fire that up with 12vdc and you'll get around 20KV DC.

Don

Hey Paul, I saw your zapper for sale at the BIG On line store. Congratulations on going mainstream with it!

Can you provide a link to the BIG ON line store? I would like one of these but am NOT the DIY guy. We noticed a few are coming out of nowhere in our 34 gallon. I do not want to use Kalk paste because they are very close to my Acans
Thank you in advance......Shane

Can you provide a link to the BIG ON line store? I would like one of these but am NOT the DIY guy. We noticed a few are coming out of nowhere in our 34 gallon. I do not want to use Kalk paste because they are very close to my Acans
Thank you in advance......Shane

Here it is.

Thanks you guys for the links and for all of the messages. This is why I come to this site and use these forums. What a great community of reefers we have!!!!!!

Back