Elevated Refugium pros/cons

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pip Tazo

what are the pros and cons of having a sump/refugium elevated above the display? and having the water flow from the refugium into the display.

Its better to have the sump underneath. You dont want bubbles in the display and cant put a filter sock in the display. Plus you would need to have an overflow box in the sump to make it quiet.

The only pro I can think of is more live pods make it to the DT.
iroll253 stated a couple of cons. although those issues could be dealt with if the system was designed properly.

IMO it would not be worth the trouble.
Where do you plan to set this type system up?

I currently have a 75g and a 55g. The reason I ask is because of space limitations I would have then on the same stand meaning one of them would be underneath the other and very close to the floor. They are currently both FOWLR. One has a sump attached with skimmer while the other one has a hang on skimmer. I am looking to improve this set up and add a proper filtration to both.

My first thought is,,, I don't think I would want a heavy object ( water filled box) on a shelf over my display tank.
Stuff happens in this part of the country. Have to be a very securely mounted shelf.

Then, how are you planning on getting the water up there? From the display tank?

maybe just link both tanks to one big sump and skimmer set up..

call or go ocean by design and talk to eric..

They build sumps and have a skimmer that would work well for your needs. then only having one sump would save on space.
They also have custom stands.
They wont steer you wrong.. and don't be afraid to ask them questions they are super nice. trust me I ask them all sorts of dumb stuff and the are still nice to me..

Back