Ellylove's 46 Gallon Bow Front (VERY Pic Heavy!)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Very nice, nice job on the rock work, plenty of places to place your frags! Keep the pics coming!

I really like the black sand, I nearly wish I would have gone with it instead. Looks good so far. If the shadow the eurobrace is casting ever bothered you too much, you could always sell that fixture and get one with 2 175w MH's and T5 actinic supplements. The light should be evenly distributed that way. BTW what is that thing that looks like a ninja star?

I really like the black sand, I nearly wish I would have gone with it instead. Looks good so far. If the shadow the eurobrace is casting ever bothered you too much, you could always sell that fixture and get one with 2 175w MH's and T5 actinic supplements. The light should be evenly distributed that way. BTW what is that thing that looks like a ninja star?

It's a ninja star. :lol: It's a type of astrea snail that I got at Indoor Reef. I had 5 but 1 died because they ALWAYS land on their back and they can't flip themselves over so you have to keep helping them out. I flipped him back over, but I guess it was already too late. Oh well, the shell is still pretty and the nassarius snails had a snack.

I would replace the light, but it's a $500 system I got for $300 (THANK YOU EBAY!) and it's a really nice system. There is a whole thread on that shadow and potential solutions and problems of it (I ended up covering the brace in foil so it doesn't get damaged from the UV radiation and eventually become brittle and snap).
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48845

Have you read up on training mandarins to eat frozen yet? May be helpful because a mandarin could wipe out a fully pod stocked 46 pretty quick. If you get it trained on frozen though it can have a balance of both and should be fine.

Mandarins are my dream fish but i haven't a system to support them :(

The mandarin is the fish that got me hooked on SW. I HAVE to have one. I'll train it to eat frozen or add pods to the tank or something, but I HAVE to have one. Paul has had 4 at Indoor Reef for about a month and I'm thinking I might train it to eat frozen while it is still in his tanks. I have a 10 sump and half of it is a fuge with a ton of chaeto (thanks fatboyt123 !) that hopefully is building up with pods. My tank looks like it has ich there are so many pods everywhere :lol: Even the sand is crawling. I am totally prepared to wait until there are enough copepods to support a mandarin, but I don't know how many more pods could possibly fit in my tank. : )

First corals!!!! MyTeeMouse and DMBReef were generous enough to let me test some common corals in my tank so I can see how they do before adding anything expensive. When the "test" is done and I start buying expensive/rarer corals, I'm going to pass on the ones they gave to another newbie. DMB also gave ne a little rbta for pointing him toward Indoor Reef as somewhere to offload large amounts of rbtas and get store credit; that and he's a nice guy. :) MyTeeMouse's wife also gave me some very nice mushrooms and a cool ricordia that I'll frag when they are ready and pass them off to others. It's so nice to see some color and shape in my tank other than rock and the fish. MyTee also showed me how to dip corals and let me drool over his tanks. And I got to do a crossword puzzle with his cute (and BRIGHT!) little boy. What a great evening! I don't remember exactly what everything is (other than the mushrooms, ricordia, monti cap, and cloves) but I'm sure I'll find out. Thanks everyone for all the support.

On a side note, I recently made a post on Barrier Reefs anniversary sale thread that some people were upset about. I did not in any way mean to bash BR. I think they have a wonderful store and wonderful products and I plan to shop there again. However, in the hustle and bustle of the sale, some things got overlooked and I got a piece of rock that was less than the standards BR holds for their rock. I have since corresponded with the owner and after figuring out what happened, it was mostly just a case of someone rushing a little and forgetting to inspect the rock. The owner has definitely made things right with me (and even offered me a gift card and a frag which is really generous of him, but that I don't feel right taking) and I respect the fact that he was very polite and very understanding. I know my next trip to BR will be much more satisfactory and I hope those of you that were mad that I said I was disappointed in my experience can feel better knowing that the situation is resolved and BR's reputation is still a good one. :)

Here are pictures of my first corals in my tank. That you so much all of you who offered to help me test my tank. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow with the MH on.

Hard to edit here at work but I was playing around with this pic, not enough detail to get it correct but maybe a tad better.

Big rock just "common button polyps"
Little uncrusted frag plug (green thingies with purple base) "green star polyps"
Little rock with tiny polyps "blue clove polyps"
Brown frilly thing with green tint barely atatched to rock and sand "rodactis mushroom"
green plate "green motipora capricornis"
Orange mushroom or course.
I think the little ones are just common brownish mushrooms
A common green Acropora of some sort..

Any thing else?

Big rock just "common button polyps"
Little uncrusted frag plug (green thingies with purple base) "green star polyps"
Little rock with tiny polyps "blue clove polyps"
Brown frilly thing with green tint barely atatched to rock and sand "rodactis mushroom"
green plate "green motipora capricornis"
Orange mushroom or course.
I think the little ones are just common brownish mushrooms
A common green Acropora of some sort..

Any thing else?

When I put the common brown mushies in they were BRIGHT blue. : )

New corals pics with the HM on

Attachments

• 100_5320.jpg
    100_5320.jpg
    53.2 KB
The nem seems to have found his spot in the tank

Attachments

• 100_5343.jpg
    100_5343.jpg
    53.4 KB
  • 100_5344.jpg
    100_5344.jpg
    49.2 KB
I know that this isn't related to my tank, but it IS fish related. Every time I see this picture I can't help but laugh a little too hard for where I am at that moment.

He hates the smell, but he LOOVVVEEEESSSSS the feeling!
9.jpg

I'm glad we can all handle our fish and not look like that guy!

Updates!!!!! I've added a BEAUTIFUL purple pseudochromis, a few more snails, and some zoas to the tank. Everything is doing GREAT! The dottyback and the female clown can't really decide what to do with each other. It's like they don't speak each others language. The female clown will go up really close to the pseudochromis and act like "I just want to be near you"/"I'm bigger than you are... See?" and the pseudochromis has a look like "Uh, what are you doing?"/"I don't really care and I'm not moving". There has been no fighting what so every though. It seems more like the clown is curious and wants to know what the pseudochromis is doing and if it will be it's friend (she gets close to him like she wants to be his buddy) and the pseudochromis just kind of ignores them and minds its own business picking at the rocks. Hopefully I can get the frags I have glued down so they can grow and I can start repaying those wonderful people who helped me get started!! Now for the good part; pics!

100_5370.jpg

I'm getting better at catching pics of the fish. :)
100_5377.jpg

100_5403.jpg

100_5498.jpg

100_5504.jpg

100_5517.jpg

100_5530.jpg

100_5477-1.jpg

100_5453.jpg

100_5479-1.jpg

100_5527.jpg

Back