Elos 160XL set up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

first pic had black hose, second pic had white hose.

BTW, Mark, let me know when you are ready to seed your tank..I still have 10lbs on LR in my sump for you.

Kirk

Yupp your right!!!!

Why the change in hoses?

Not a real worthy story but in the struggle to get the Iwaki primed I had to add an extension hose to reach a outdoor spigot to back prime the pump. This did the trick and we pushed water from my fish room up with about 12ft of head.

first pic had black hose, second pic had white hose.

BTW, Mark, let me know when you are ready to seed your tank..I still have 10lbs on LR in my sump for you.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, I have you in mind. Honestly don't know if I will need it as this build is going slow but awesome! I am really happy with the rockwork! I will post a few more pics in a bit to highlight the 'scaping'.

Poser!

There is finally alot to talk about now that major progress is being made. At quitting time... well way past but dinner and wine were intermission, the tank was 2/3 full of water. The LEDs are on, Eric posing with his incredible rock work despite my efforts, and lots of bubbles on the glass! LED's are now the way to go.......................... at least I think so! More pics coming with the different lighting and rockwork details.

Ran out of RO/DI water... oh well, something to do tomorrow! Had to throw a couple towels over the exposed live rock to keep them wet while more while the RO/DI unit does its thing. Now I am thinking about some rock outcropping islands!

Wow, looks great man! I looked back through your thread and could not find where you purchased your LED's. Did you order here in the states or pick them up in HK?

Wow, looks great man! I looked back through your thread and could not find where you purchased your LED's. Did you order here in the states or pick them up in HK?

Actually bought them (Maxspect brand) in HK and carried them back on the plane with me. Actually bought a cheap collapsable bag filled in the sides with some bubble wrap scrap I found and checked it in as luggage. Crossed my fingers at airport baggage claim/customs but no issues. More on the lights in a bit.

LED Light position adjustment!

One of the nice unexpected features that my LED lighting system gives me is the ability to easily slide (with one finger) the light banks forward or aft to allow easy maintenance in the tank and also fine tune the lighting on the reef creating the sun/shadow areas. The rails are adjustable to fit my 31.5in deep (front to back) dimension. The two lights are on independent tracks so this gives even more flexibility! I love it. They also come with hanging kit but so far I like this option better.

LEDs are looking great. My tank is 36'' wide. So what is your opinion on coverage and mounting height and still get acceptable PAR numbers at the bottom of the tank?

By the way is Thor going by your place to take PAR readings in your system? It would be nice to see some real time LED PAR numbers on local systems.

FTS

Here are a couple of FTS with the 1w whites only on, and other with 1w whites and 1w blues on. This not full lighting as I don't have the 3w whites on in either picture. I am very happy with the rock work. Lots of valleys, tunnels, cravasses, and a very 'airy' bottom to the reef for circulation. You can also see on the floor in the back, the control units for the LEDs.

By the way is Thor going by your place to take PAR readings in your system? It would be nice to see some real time LED PAR numbers on local systems.

Hey Roscoe, if someone wants to venture over to Seabeck to make some PAR readings, I am happy to host them. I would really like to see a map of my tank myself but don't want to invest in the equipment... besides its shrimp season starting Saturday and I had to invest in a new pot puller!

But since my tank isn't heated yet, how about loading it up with some spot prawns until I need to fish them out for dinner? I probably have a week or so before I started heating the DT. :razz:

verrry noiceee! love the rack rails. hopefully my rack rails give me that option to do maintenance in the tank without taking everything apart

LEDs are looking great. My tank is 36'' wide. So what is your opinion on coverage and mounting height and still get acceptable PAR numbers at the bottom of the tank?

Well my tank is 31.5in wide by 63in long by 24in high and I have two 160w that do an awesome job for this footprint. 36in might be pushing it but if you slide it towards the front and don't worry about a darker backside of the tank it could be great. Also would depend on how your rock shadows some of the tank. I have the reef peak roughly at the back 1/3 of my tank if that makes sense.

I mounted the LED on the brackets provided that span the front/back so the height will about 3in from the waterline as soon as I connect my overflow/return to my sump. Right now I am sitting at about 4in and the spread is great and I feel I am getting good light at the bottom too. Only way to tell for sure though is to do some PAR readings as you suggested.

verrry noiceee! love the rack rails. hopefully my rack rails give me that option to do maintenance in the tank without taking everything apart

Yeah this was a real surprise and something that has already made maintenance so much easier! I can't say enough about that feature.

Hey Roscoe, if someone wants to venture over to Seabeck to make some PAR readings, I am happy to host them. I would really like to see a map of my tank myself but don't want to invest in the equipment... besides its shrimp season starting Saturday and I had to invest in a new pot puller!

But since my tank isn't heated yet, how about loading it up with some spot prawns until I need to fish them out for dinner? I probably have a week or so before I started heating the DT. :razz:

I don't know ehere Seabeck is and not sure if Thor is heading your direction or not. I know he was heading north to take some readings on a few systems in a couple weeks.

It would be pretty cool to keep those shrimp in your system for a bit before you fish them out for dinner hahaha.

Back