Elos 160XL set up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I totally agree with Mark. High output LED's and T5's would kick*ss. Especially if you had a controller that could do cloud and lightning effects.

that sounds sweet...
and an aluminum box for LED's and t5 could be super skinny and elegant looking, too.;)

That is what I am looking for! I am a little confused as to how many aqua illumination units I would need. Why would I need T5s too? Do you know where I can see the aqua illuminations in action?

I only know a private party that own the AI light, suprisingly enough, it's a 4' fixture on an elos 120xl... :)
also, that was years ago when they were new. now they have like 30% more output. their olny gripe was that the 4' fixture was a little skinny for the 120xl, hence my suggestion for having bricky build you a hood that will accomodate multiple AI arrays plus t5's.
on a basically 5'x3' aquarium, I would say that you need 4 of the AI arrays plus 4 tubes of t5.

I would look into ReefBrite units. Use the 2 of the all blue and one of the 10K version. Then fill in with 4-6 T5's. Way cheaper than AI units. You wouldn't be able to use a controller though to set up cloud and lightning simulations.

Although there was some hinting that the Reefbrite units would be coming out with a controllable LED system. Probably not in time for your current plans though.

Stand is ready to go, so I'll try to get it picked up tomorrow and will try to get it to you by Monday at the latest so you can check the tank placement etc. Will post pics as soon as I get it back...

Veralte custom steel stand w/ poly coat

Here's the stand all coated and ready to rock. This thing will still be around long after we're all gone and wont have any rust or damage... Sorry for the dark pics, but the sun was headed down by the time I made it back.

Attachments

• elospics1 006.jpg
    elospics1 006.jpg
    33.7 KB
Okay here are tank stand pics... finished up the decking. First pic is the obligatory FSS.:)

Second is a close up of the decking at mid span. The theory here is to match the Elos tank bottom black glass. Decking is 3/4in thick banded maple plywood with a gloss black polyurethane finish.

Third is a corner floor detail. All corners mitered, welded before coating.:D

Some more details... The first pic is looking underneath at the center support and two intercostals (aircraft structure term, sorry) before installing the metal brackets. Also sorry for the dust!

The second and third pics show the support brackets attached to the decking only at the centers of the four sides. This will keep the deck centered when we place the tank. As far as earthquake proof... the tank will sit on the top of the decking with no side support. If the shake is bad enough to displace the tank and it jumps off the stand then I will have bigger problems! :shock:

Glad to see that my stand fit your decking... :) other wise we may have had a big problem, I mean you would have had a big problem.. :) The ro is ordered and I'll let you know as soon as I hear on it... Everything looks great!

That's a really nice looking stand. It will be really nice when we see it filled with water and creatures :)

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice! Now if I can only get Eric to get off his butt... :razz: JK, thanks Eric, you have to admit my patience is quite good for a reefer. I am ready to move the stand inside and under the tank now but probably should wait until the new RO/DI unit comes so I can make some water first I suppose. This way we can get my live rock back in at the same time, sound good?

Back