EMERGENCY- Tank just crashed....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

good morning Caesar I'm so glad to hear some things are coming back. What a disaster. Did you ever figure out what caused this distraction? It's obvious it happened very quickly and not over time. Did anyone use cleaning solutions around your reef? Or did someone use glass cleaner to clean your tank with I don't know I'm just throwing things out there. Anyway I'm glad to see some things are coming back. If I can be any help give me a e-mail please.Phil:phone:

good morning Caesar I'm so glad to hear some things are coming back. What a disaster. Did you ever figure out what caused this distraction? It's obvious it happened very quickly and not over time. Did anyone use cleaning solutions around your reef? Or did someone use glass cleaner to clean your tank with I don't know I'm just throwing things out there. Anyway I'm glad to see some things are coming back. If I can be any help give me a e-mail please.Phil:phone:

Not to cause a fight, but glass cleaners causing tank crashes is a myth. I've used windex on more than one occasion on all of my reef tanks and once when my son was young he sprayed windex directly into a tank. NOTHING was the least bit effected. I use my carpet shampooer regularly, carpet fresh, febreeze, incense, scented candles, latex paint and nothing causes the tank problems. IME varnish from refinishing hardwood floors is one of the only things I believe will kill a tank overnight. I wouldn't recommend oil base paints either.

It sounds to me like there were't enough WC's and then Cesar started dosing without testing. An eventual build up, or drop of Alk can cause a sudden crash. If one large coral suddenly cant take the parameters any more and starts to melt. The sudden amount of nematocysts and organic matter will cloud the water and can possibly cause a chain reaction causing the rest of the corals to react negatively.

I'm not saying this is exactly what happened but sudden tank crashes don't always have an easy explanation. I've heard the Windex blame game too many times.

i dont f****** believe this...
really? Two in a row? February and now again?

THINGS WE LEARNED SO FAR....
1) At least we know that it is not KALKWASSER overdosing.... I stopped dosing it.
2) That it is highly the result of over feeding.
  • Overfeeding resulting to bacteria bloom.
  • Since I have no sand (barebottom), not enough live rocks, no skimmer for 4 years, I really am asking for trouble.
  • Not enough material for bacteria to buffer overfeeding even for little amount.

SYMPTOMS...
1) White milky water. Barely see the back glass of a 75 gallon tank.
2) Everything covered in white...
3) All LPS, retracted. 2nd day all LPS dead. 3rd day all LPS decaying.
4) SPS also affected but results have been slow. 3rd day only shows RTN (turning white from below going up???)
5) RBTA, no where to be found. All 12 of them.
6) Rare green NEPTHEA, 12 inches high now shrunk to a ball of 4 inches.

Note: Those corals that survived the FIRST wave, are now all dead.

WHAT DID I DO TO STOP OR COUNTER THE ISSUE.
1) People said that you cannot stop BACTERIA BLOOM. You can only prevent it. But once the ball is rolling, you are already too late.
2) Water change wont help, since Bacteria can repopulate in a very short period of time. But I did it anyway.
3) 50% water change Day1 did not do anything. 30% Day2, still the same.
4) Filter floss were added with GAC on Day1. Changed daily. 2nd Day no change.
5) Researched Google and found out that UV might help. Bought a 30 watt UV, added it on 2nd Day PM.
6) 3rd day, big progress. Continue with water change, turbidity is down. I can see more. Perhaps UV did work?????
7) 4th day, I guess i was too late? Now water is more clearer. But I also now can see the effects.

WHATS NEXT?

This might be a good excuse to.... START ALL OVER? or just QUIT?

10 years of reef keeping, you think you know everything? There is always first time for everything I say..... but second time??? PRICELESS......

Caesar - I'm in Maple Valley and have 20 gallons of mixed RO/DI reef saltwater that has been sitting so is ready to use right now - I could bring it over if you need it. Please feel free to PM me if you need it. Or if you need to call I can PM you my #

I don't have any things to help you now... I am going through some stuff with my tank too at the moment, but I would love to give you a frag or two of something if you end up starting over! Good Luck and I hope you don't stop reefing!

Rachel

Thank you all for all.

Still continuing to do water change and waiting it out. Water is super clear now but the effects on the coral have already began. All SPS, well all 5 of them are dead. Softies are still fighting for their life.

Just waiting and see what will happen.

@jozee, thanks for the 20 long. Do you want to trade those two for a breeder? Its old but still holds water. Cannot be used for display but perfect for sump.

@Rachel. You have your own issues with ur lighting. I might need some corals, I don't know what to trade since most of my corals are common and not wanted. My offer is still good, just let me know when or what you need. I believe I still have my old t5 setup here. 4feet x 6 bulbs. Just let me know.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
redo your system... have a skimmer, fuge, and at least one media reactor in ther sump,
throw in at least 1 lb per g of rock if not more to DT,
test your parameters at least once a week,
and dose an idiot proof 2 part system to your tank.
done and done.

Last edited:
My suggestion---Your new shopping list :
Alkalinity test kits
Carbon
Spare Water change equipment
Save up for a skimmer soon

Not to test alkalinity weekly is gambling IMO

See thats the problem. All those years, i do reefkeeping with the KISS approach. Old school i guess. I dont test my water, i dont dose except kalkwasser before, i just do water change. And it worked for me all those years, as you can see on my website. I dont have high end stuff, and i only keep hardy corals. I enjoyed this hobby doing this way. Not too much as a slave to my reef, thus enjoying other things in life. I normally dont touch my tank for days and even weeks and they just keep on going.

Sometimes its when i intervene, its when something goes wrong. Like overfeeding. As you can see most of my inhabitants or the original ones i bought 10 years ago. And this is the first time Bacterial Bloom entered to my radar.

Skimmy an Plack, i will do what you have suggested. Already ordered a skimmer. I need to redesign my sump to handle a refugia.

No trade,,it free for you my friend!also I found some of my test kits not even use it you can have it.Text me what you need.

Last edited:
Back