Euro reef 125 mod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
I took a page straight out of SKIMMERWHISPER's book.
I got this Euro reef for my wife's 29 gallon softie tank (+20 gallon sump)
Before I even got it wet I drilled a hole as close as I could to the pinwheel on the volute and glued in a bic pen sheath.. then I put on 3/8ID hose for the air line then made a silencer out of a pill bottle...
in a matter of 3 hours already have 1/2 of gook in the cup..
Amd sorry it's a 135 not a 125
EURO REEF RS 135

I did that to my bak pak skimmer because i lost the little screw thing, mine was i vicodin bottle lol. :p

good work maus!!
take the elbow out and put the pump directly into the skimmer body.
make sure you put the bottom of the pump butt up against the sump wall for support though. venturi pointing down. 20% power increase.
...not that the 29g needs a power increase...lol

Last edited:
Damn kids.... Always messing with mah stuff

Ahem... That bottle was for the corals man. You know for good PE and all :lol:

So if I remove the elbow off of my intake and place the output of the pump directly into the skimmer body I get a 20 percent increase of water movement or air volume?

air mostly, your taking some of the backpressure off the pump, so it allows it to suck more air and slightly more water.
also, if you've mesh modded the impellar, then you've already increased the air and decreased the water, so taking the elbow off increases the air still more and probably puts the amount of water it's processing back to before you meshmodded the pump. but there isnt a real big increase in air when you mesh a sedra, but there is at least 100lph more, and it does decrease the bubble size. the trick i've learned with sedra pumps recently is you dont want to use zipties to hold the mesh down and with the 3500 and 5000 probably want to stick with 2 layers of mesh, otherwise you might increase the wattage of the pump. I really wish we could get the slightly thinner mesh that ATI uses in germany...it's not enkamat pf4a, it's something else, and much better than the flat back pf4a.

I havn't mesh modded my sedra yet and will probably do that here shortly. I am having a huge problem with my skimmer at this moment and have it out. So I will try that out. So is the pf4a at home depot. I will go and give it a look.

Hey Skimster.... Speaking of modding. Have you thought about making a pin wheel with smaller pins? Maybe with sharpened ends even. I bet the smaller pins would make much finer bubbles.

yep, and not only thinner pins, but why do they have to be round cylinder pins?? why not pyramids, or stars? and I know they're starting to make pinwheels that will only go one direction finally...
material is a big part of it too, finding something that is hard enough but light.

Back