EV-180 issues

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

about an inch. I don't know now. I guess I will Aqua-C on Monday.

Yeah, I'm still thinking a faulty injector. You have enough flow there to be able to slow it down or speed it up (with that ball valve you have) to be able to make it work. The air injector must not be producing the right size and amount of bubbles...If you want/need, I can run down and take another picture of mine and show you the difference in the skimmate since that last picture I took of it after it was cleaned. Also, I can try and get a closeup of the bubble size if it will help you at all...Just let me know:)

If you want. I would like to see a pic of your when you first start it, though I bet your water level is below the box.

K...I will take a pic of how it looks now. Then I'll take a shot of how it looks after turning it off and starting it back up a few seconds later, and then I'll take a picture of it after putting my hand in the tank. BRB:)

K...Just took them and I'm going to upload them to my computer and post them. I even cleaned the skimmer neck after the first few pics so you can get a better idea of how it looks in there. Be back in a few:)

K...Here you go.

This is the first shot of my skimmer before touching anything.

This is the color of the skimmate and the of foam that gets into the collection cup

I cleaned the skimmer neck and cup and started back up the skimmer and this is where the water level shot up to (not where it is set) and also a closeup of the bubbles if you can see any

This is where the water level stabablized at after about 2 minutes. Most of what you see is just foam and not the actual water level

And this is where it dropped to after I stuck my hand into the tank

Last edited:
Wow, that is so much more foamy then mine. I pulled my injector today and checked it out and it seemed ok. I guess I am not sure what all a faulty injector would entail though. Definitely not the same though.

Wow, that is so much more foamy then mine. I pulled my injector today and checked it out and it seemed ok. I guess I am not sure what all a faulty injector would entail though. Definitely not the same though.

Yeah, it took me a while to get it real foamy...About the injector, I can't really see what could go wrong with one, but you never know. Did you use teflon tape to screw it back it? I'm not sure what will happen if none is used and it isn't sealed right if it will affect the bubbles. I figure those injectors are calibrated to a certain size to be efficient and was just curious if that could maybe be something...

Well, there is teflon tape in the threads of the hole so, I didn't really worry about it.

Cool...Well, I guess you will see what they have to say on Monday. Do you by chance have any photos saved of how it is set up? I was just curious if you did...

I wish you luck with it on Monday. :)

One more thing I thought of...You said you had it setup in sump which would mean your pump is really close to it right? Your pump is almost double the gph as reccommended and I was wondering how would you know how much flow is being pushed into it exactly by just adjusting the ball valve? They reccommend the mag7 for that skimmer so I figured you'd have to try and tone that down 500gph which may be hard to do thus the reason the skimmer may not be operating properly. Too much less than 700gph may not be enough and too much more than 700gph may be too much. That just came to mind...Not sure what it means, but at this point just trying to throw out what all comes to mind...:)

I don't actually know how much flow I have going through it. My logic, which may be seriously flawed, was that if I adjust the water level with the ball-valve to the proper level then it should skim just find. Starting to wonder. I may talk with Kevinpo later this week because he is the one that recommended it to me.

It seems to be skimming a littler better tonight. Haven't really done much with the tank expect feed it so that was helpful. Though when I looked at it one point to day it was frothy but the there were no bubbles in the main chamber again. The cup still had foam when it had been there and my overflow from cup was collecting nicely.

Back