Fastest in wall ever

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What are you using for flow inside the tank? I will be setting up a 180 after the first of the year.

Your tank looks awesome btw!

I am using 5 K4's, two of which are mounted on DIY wavysea's in each corner which helps out a lot with random motion. Would highly recommend the DIY wavysea's if you are doing in-tank powerheads, not too difficult of a DIY. Probably the cheapest route to go but not the sexiest. My return is an Iwaki which adds 1000gph, probably less with head loss.

I dont have a nikon Steve, but for me, after I find the WB that works, I mess withthe shutter speed and occasionally use manual focus to get focus on the awkward to get to coral. I have so much to learn though. And the tripod is a huge help too.

Thanks Duane, I dont yet have a grasp on shutter speed. I started playing with white balance although I have not found a sweet spot. Lots of camera lingo I need to come up to speed on.

does the tank water first enter the filter sock and then the skimmer? how many times do you change the sock a week? what's the red color in the middle of your sump? algae of some sort? do you run any microalgae in your sump?

Last edited:
ISO 100
Shutter speed slow like 1/20-1/40
No flash or diffused flash
Tri-pod
F-stop low for one spot focus bigger for more of the coral/fish in focus.

To get the right white balance put something pure white in your tank and set the white balance to that..
If you have photoshop you can use the levels and curves to adjust the darks and lights in the photos with out playing with the colors at all.
so no one can say your messing with the colors.

Last edited:
Great tank and very impressive growth! I've never seen a Blue Tort forest like that - too cool!

does the tank water first enter the filter sock and then the skimmer? how many times do you change the sock a week? what's the red color in the middle of your sump? algae of some sort? do you run any microalgae in your sump?

I added a frag tank which is plumbed into one of the two overflows, the remaining main tank overflow and frag tank overflow both drop into a 8inch diameter filter sock in the sump. I should probably change my socks out more, I do it about every five days when I see water overflowing the sock.

The red you see in the middle chamber of my sump is my RBTA herd, I have about 30 of them. They do great under the home depot 23W compact florescent flood lights.

The very left side chamber just has extra live rock. I am currently growing cheato in that chamber using the CF bulbs as well. However my cheato is hit and miss, it will grow for 3 months and then do nothing for 6 months, have not figured that out. I did xenia for a year in the sump as nutrient export but did not notice much benefit so got rid of it all.

ISO 100
Shutter speed slow like 1/20-1/40
No flash or diffused flash
Tri-pod
F-stop low for one spot focus bigger for more of the coral/fish in focus.

To get the right white balance put something pure white in your tank and set the white balance to that..
If you have photoshop you can use the levels and curves to adjust the darks and lights in the photos with out playing with the colors at all.
so no one can say your messing with the colors.

I am going to try these settings and see what I get. A tripod has got to help the sharpness. Thanks for the suggestions.

Great tank and very impressive growth! I've never seen a Blue Tort forest like that - too cool!

Thanks, I like them as well but will likely need to thin a bit more to give some other colonies some space.

I have seen steves tank in person. Those pictures do not do it justice. Also that cali tort and the other frags i got from you steve are all encrusted and truning into nice colonies now.

Time for closure, I started this thread to document my tanks creation but now time to end this thread with its demise. I sold off all the livestock to a fellow reefer who showed up in a rented van and 25 5 gallon buckets later everything was gone. I feel fortunate that everything went to an even bigger system. I hope to one day start another tank. First pic was a month before tear down and the second is a day after tear down. I still need to drain the water and clean the gear. anybody need a 20lb CO2 tank?

main.jpg

rocks.jpg

Back