Favorite Salt mix

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

young_skywalker

so what's everyone's favorite salt mix? I've been hearing some negative feedback on oceanic salt. what do you think?

i use oceanic works great for me. i love the way it dissolves in the water. i dont even mix it in another container. i pour it slowly in the tank and let the powerheads mix it.

I really like Instant Ocean. Dissolves quickly and I've always had good luck growing any kind of coral with it.

If you check a few of the polls or threads here on preferred salt mix (as there were many many of them) you'll see that Instant Ocean always seem to be the number 1 preferred choice. It's also the one I've always used :)

I use IO. I used to use oceanic, but my phosphates started rising and I was having bad hair algae outbreaks. Later on I figured out that the P issues were due to my sandbed leaching. I am thinking about picking up another bucket of oceanic to mix in with the IO. I really liked the CA & ALK levels that the oceanic provided, but IMO, I think IO is a better overall mix even though the CA & ALK levels come in a little low.

lol Io always gets the win... then the Tropic marin PrO team comes in and pwn's em (dark evil deep laugh) HAHAHAHHHA

no j/k

IO(never used) and TM seem to be the leader's
I use TM pro and regular Tm never an issue never have to wait for desolve water changes take about 6 min and i can bang em out all day long.

lol Io always gets the win... then the Tropic marin PrO team comes in and pwn's em (dark evil deep laugh) HAHAHAHHHA

no j/k

IO(never used) and TM seem to be the leader's
I use TM pro and regular Tm never an issue never have to wait for desolve water changes take about 6 min and i can bang em out all day long.

why do you say that dood? :) .
how is the cal and alk in that salt ?

i use the non pro in the softie tank and the pro in the mixed tank

the last time i check the Tm mixed at 370Ca and 2.5meq/l
the alk and Ca at a little higher with the pro... but i can be wrong...

well I used to use IO but recently I switched to oceanic due to availability in my this small town, but since then I've noticed a lot of algae growth...guessing you are right with the phosphate

so has anyone had any trouble switching between salts? I've heard that it can cause problems but I've never had problems in the past and the LFS here switches pretty frequently...what do you think?

I wanna switch from oceanic back to IO

Gaby, TM Pro Reef has a alk level of ~7 dhk, and Ca is good but I forget the exact number.

Back